xPost - 10 commandments - tips from a vet worth repeating

Valerie G.
on 10/5/12 12:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm about to celebrate my 7th surgiversary from having the DS on Halloween, and was looking to my profile to post an annual update (not much changes this far out, so not as much to write about in-between).  I read what I posted last year, and decided that it's definitely worth repeating this year, especially with so many noobs out here.

My Lessons Learned over the years as a post-op:
  1. Drink, drink, drink.  Don’t whine about it, just do it.  Not only do I accomplish 64 oz every day, but I do at least twice that…sometimes three times.  Yeah, really!
  2. REAL vitamins.  Not flintstones or anything gummy.  Don’t accept anything mediocre because catching up is a real ***** when you fall short.  There are some real vitamin guru’s out here.  I love Andrea U and Vitalady for information.  They’ve studied a lot to keep healthy and have been very generous with sharing.
  3. Be realistic.  Know your stats on what to expect and don’t assume you’re special or different.  This will save a lot of frustration along the way.  I found focusing a goal on a clothing size instead of weight was much better.  I’d been MO for so long that my bone density is high, so I weigh more than I look.  Had I been fixated on a weight number, it would have made me crazy.
  4. There are absolutely no magical creams, lotions, or exercises to prevent or treat loose skin.  Count on it happening and work ahead on how you will deal with it.  How severe its gonna be depends on the ****tail of your age, genetics, how long you’ve been MO, with a dash of simple luck.
  5. Similarly, there are no magical shampoos or vitamins to prevent hair loss six months out from your surgical date.  Google Telogen Effluvium and learn all about it.  It’s going to happen to the majority of you, and it will last 3-5 months and it will go away, no matter what vitamins you take or what shampoo you use.  The best remedy is a haircut with some texture to blend in the new growth so you don’t look like a chia pet when it comes in (and it will).  If you’re more than a year out and it’s happening again, it’s time to check your vitamin levels, for it may be a result of malnutrition.
  6. Get to know your local consignment and thrift stores.  You will reach a point where you need a new wardrobe every 6 weeks.  Go to the ritzy part of town and shop there.  It’s amazing what the rich and privileged discard.  Go armed with a tide pen and plenty of time to just pick through things.  A consignment shop will take the clothes you’ve shrunk out of and fund the new purchases.  I was able to replace my wardrobe for less than $100
  7. Shapers!  I love them in the wintertime and even summer.  Not only do they hold in what’s loose, but they keep me warm, too.  Get some.  There are some I get from Walmart for less than that go from my ankles to my bra.  They sell them by the sock section.  I also like the super-sucker cami's and wear them with just about everything.  Pair them with the other thing I have, and hubby calls me "Ft.Knox"
  8. Padded and molded bras!  They serve two purposes:  first, they have a pre-formed shape to pour your girls losing their own shape.  Second, nobody knows when you’re cold.  I love the Lane Bryant Balconette, myself.   I’m shrinking out of their smallest size (36D now, I think), so I’m on the lookout for something I won’t leap out of when I’m not being careful.  My boobies are like escape artists.
  9. Don’t feel resentful for how people treated you when you were MO.  If they treat you differently now, don’t be a ***** about it.  They have no idea what they are doing and are probably quite sincere about how they’re treating you today. Life is too short.  Just be gracious about the compliments and new treatment and look forward with your head held high.  You’ve done it!
  10. Added for 2012 - never underestimate the power of probiotics.  You don't have to spend a fortune on the bottled and refrigerated ones.  Seriously, a bottle of kefir or a cup or two of yogurt does wonders for my digestive tract.  If I go more than a few days without any, I can tell the difference in how I feel and even can tell the difference in odor of my poo (it takes on a more sour aroma) and the texture.  TMI for some, others are nodding, so develop a taste for yogurt - it has probiotics and protein, a total win/win.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

puppysweets1
on 10/5/12 3:32 am - CA
Congratulations on your surgeriversary,  Good post.  Thanks for sharing your knowldege.

RNY to DS  210 lbs gone for 5 years.

J G.
on 10/5/12 3:42 am
Val, Great post. I must have missed it last year.  Please post it often!

At four years out, the only thing I would differ with is part of number 10.  Just yogurt won't do it for my system.  I have to take 3 probiotics a day.  Everyone is different.  Loves me some yogurt, though.  Such a great protein source.  Fage's greek is my fav.

1. Fluids are sooo important.  And it's so easy to slip into dehydration. 

It happen to  my husband (a normie) just last week.  He called me from work and said his legs felt "weird."  After asking him a few questions, I figured it out and told him to go drink a gallon of water.  He balked and I told him it was either that or an IV in the ER.  He complied.  He had just gotten so busy at work he had forgotten to drink anything that day. 

Living in Florida, it's usually so hot, I think it helps me remember to drink, drink, drink.  Just for breakfast I usually have 1 1/2 quarts of fluids.  4 cups tea, 1cup crystal light, and 1 cup water with vites.

6.Thrift stores.  Good idea and go early in your journey.  I wore baggie clothes for way to long.  Getting smaller stuff really gives your spirit a boost!  You'll surprise yourself.

7. Shapers.  Ft Knox.  How funny! 

8. I like the Genie bra.  Sometimes my "escape artists" might move around a little but never have leaped out!

9. So well stated.  I figure that all the wonderful compliments I gotten recently have more that outweighed anything nasty that was ever said. "Bury the hatchet."  "Doon worry, be happy!"
Huneypie
on 10/5/12 6:53 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Wow, 2-3 times 640z!! I think I need to make 96oz something I seriously aim for. Dehydration is sooo easy as a DSer. Thanks for the reminder!!

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

smileyjamie72
on 10/6/12 5:24 am - Palmer, AK

Great post, Val!  And a happy, early surgiversary to you!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

getfitagogo
on 10/6/12 7:46 am
Awesome post!  Great advice!  Thanks!
Get Fit A-Go-Go
JazzyOne9254
on 10/6/12 11:06 am
Happy Surgiversary in advance, Val !

Thanks for sharing your wisdom with all of us!  You are truly "The OG of DS"!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Tara W.
on 10/7/12 12:15 am
DS on 10/15/12
Thank you for this great post! I am scheduled to have the DS on Oct. 15th and the advice and guidance from your experience will be very helpful and is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much Val for sharing.
EmmaJane
on 10/9/12 2:51 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
DS on 11/06/12
Thanks for sharing your sage advice!
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/10/12 3:44 am - Sedona, AZ
 thank you for the info and all your inspiration and of course your Ricotta Fluff recipe which has gotten me thru quite a few sugar cravings!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 437 views