sleeve to ds

maxie1
on 3/29/12 1:06 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

Hi,

anyone have a revision from the sleeve to the ds.. i am 9 months out only lost 64 lbs thinking of doing the 2nd part of the surgery... any input.. thanks.

susan

susan                                                                                                
MsBatt
on 3/30/12 2:08 am
Not speaking from personal experience hre, but---it's generally accepted that the sooner after having the stomach portion you have the intestinal portion, the better long-term success you'll have. If you're gonna do it, do it NOW.
zix
on 3/30/12 2:52 am, edited 3/30/12 2:54 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
 I had the full DS but so I can't comment on that part but since I see you are from PA I was just wondering which surgeon you were thinking of?
maxie1
on 3/30/12 11:02 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
dr Clark Gerhard did my sleeve.. now I am thinking of having the bypass on top of it.. they said i have to wait about 18 months since my sleeve.. that was on june 6th 2011.
susan                                                                                                
zix
on 3/31/12 5:52 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
 So Dr. Gerhard is doing DS's now? I've never heard of him as a DS surgeon.
maxie1
on 3/31/12 5:55 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

Yes, he did my sleeve in June of 2011.   now i have an appt to talk to him about the ds and my diabetes...  where in pa are you from im in wilkes barre. pa

susan                                                                                                
zix
on 4/2/12 12:12 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
I looked on his website and it does not say he does the DS  nor is he listed on the DS facts website as a vetted DS surgeon. Just concerned because I would hate for you to be a guinea pig!
Sandra C.
on 3/30/12 3:09 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I have a virgin D.S., 7 months out, close to my goal weight- 20 lbs to go. I dont feel like I am on a diet because I can eat as much protein and dairy as I want. My mental and physical cravings are gone. I lost 10 lbs this month, my losses slow but steady. 110lbs lost so far. I never had any regrets choosing the D.S. My vitamins and supplements are easy to take. My labs are all within the normal range. After the D.S. surgery, I couldnt feel any pain, or difference with my system below the stomach. The only pain was where they removed the portion of the stomach. I love my D.S. the trips to the bathroom are limited with a high protein diet. Adding carbs like bread, pasta- white flour will cause gas, usually I dont have any. I am more constipated, use Miralax mixed into Mio or crystal lite and water. I cant taste it. A daily dose of Miralax keeps me regular, (along with full butter whole bag of popcorn every now and then). I usually go once a day in the morning, never have needed to rush off to the bathroom while I am away from home. The other D.Sers I know in my support group dont either. I highly suggest a revision to the D.S. I chose it to insure I reached my goal weight, and looks like I will make it within the next 2 months, well before my first year out from surgery !!!!

Sandra  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

maxie1
on 3/30/12 11:03 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
thank you i think i want the ds also.. i am stuck at 220 i want to loose another 40 or so..
susan                                                                                                
MsBatt
on 3/31/12 9:36 am
Since your surgeon is new to the DS, I'd ask him how many DSes he's done, and why he thinks you should wait 18 months after having your Sleeve to complete the DS. Seriously, the DS is normally only done in two parts when the patient is too sick to undergo anesthesia long enough to perform the whole procedure, and the second part is done as soon as the patient is healthy enough for a second surgery.

I really would talk to someone who's on the vetted surgeons list at www.dsfacts.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 938 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1154 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 406 views