Anemia, they gonna call off my TT?

gwbp
on 10/21/11 1:21 am
 I hope not.  Surgery is 10 days away.    Is there anything I can do to bring it up fast??   The infusions?   I take the oral stuff twic a day, and I dont think it helps me?   Ugh,   I told plastic surgeon I was anemic & she didnt seem concerned.  So Im scheduled, sister flying in, and I get this call.   Trying not to get frantic .   Doing a iron test today,   will chicken livers help???  LOL!  I about desperate enough!   Any experience shared greatly appreciated!!       Gwyn

Down 165 lbs. as of May 21.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/21/11 1:51 am - Burlington County, NJ
Gwyn, take it from someone who's BTDT: Reschedule the procedure when you are in EXCELLENT iron and protein status. Go look at my pictures of tissue necrosis and think about the complete revision I had to have done four weeks after the first procedure, and the entire semester of school I missed because of it. If it had been employment, I would have been sunk. My iron- and protein-related levels were all within low end of normal limits.

http://www.angelfire.com/mt/lovelylovely/tummytuck

Get infusions and give them time to work. Remember, people can DIE from plastic surgery. You really, really need your red blood cells to be as close to perfect as they can be. Don't be foolish.

Diane Davis
on 10/21/11 1:25 pm
Thanks EN for sharing this, it's a real eye opener.  We really need to be sure we're in top shape before adding any new procedures, don't we?!

I agree with your advice!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Renee2007
on 10/21/11 2:22 am - Central, FL
 I would also discourage you going into surgery being anemic. It's a big surgery and you really need your iron and protein levels up there for proper healing.  Here's a link to a thread that was posted on the Plastics Board and Dr. LoMonaco gives some good info concerning this topic.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/4457771/sur ery-cancelled-and-getting-iron-infusions/

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Janet P.
on 10/21/11 5:30 am
I can't even imagine how disappointed you must be but your overall health is the most important. I was borderline anemic when I had my plastics and I paid dearly for it. I passed out after they discharged me from surgery and then it took months of iron infusions to get my numbers back into the normal range. That was just me but I doubt you can do anything with just 10 days before surgery.

I wasn't as diligent with my labs back then as I am now but that experience was a great lesson for me.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

gwbp
on 10/21/11 7:00 am
 ... Bummer.   doesn't look good my iron was 7.1 in sept.    Has been fallin for last year and half   I have even  doubled up on my iron pills.  looks like infusions, time  plenty of time, then the plastics  :(....  
beemerbeeper
on 10/21/11 11:19 am - AL
Gwyn,

I've been concerned about your vitamins and supplements since the first time I met you in person.  I hope you will take this as a wake up call and start getting ALL the labs you need and taking ALL the supplements you need.

I know you don't want your surgery postponed but I hope they make sure you are healthy enough for surgery before they do it.

The labs you need:
docs.google.com/Doc

The supplements you should start out on and then tweak based on the above labs:
www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

~Becky

gwbp
on 10/21/11 11:44 am
 Yep, geting real can be  process....  I have taken iron every day for 4  months religiously .. have even doubled it to twice daily for last month.   ( w stool softner)  not pleasent but i tolerate it ok...  Im ready for infusions @ a Tummy tuck +  thigh lift when I'm well enough!  Thanks Becky!  Hope you are great down in the deep south,  I'm jealous  ~~~   BUUURRR

J G.
on 10/21/11 2:41 pm
my hemo says it take 2 weeks for the infusion to kick in...
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 435 views