Another 10% bone loss - so talk to me about osteoporosis treatments

Julie R.
on 9/30/11 2:02 am - Ludington, MI
My DEXA from yesterday shows I've lost another 10% in my hip (spine was only 1%), which has left me into full-fledged osteoporosis in the hips (spine still osteopenic).   I need to start thinking very seriously about the various osteoporosis treatments out there so that I can have a rational discussion with the endo doc when I see him next month.

For those of you already having treatment - what are you doing, how is it working?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Mdae
on 9/30/11 2:14 am
I believe vitalady is familiar with some of this stuff.  might wanna PM her.

beemerbeeper
on 9/30/11 3:17 am - AL
So sorry Julie.  I think there is a yahoo group.  Ask Gina (Major Mom).

I just had a scan last week.  I hope mine is okay.

~Becky

duncans
on 9/30/11 3:23 am, edited 9/30/11 3:28 am
Hi Julie,
So sorry to read your declining #'s----frustrating! I know you really work hard at getting that calcium in.
Latest tweaks:
Calcium Acetate (667mg each cap, 'script ) x2 TID - 169mg avail. Calcium each cap
Calcium Citrate (300 mg Vitalady) x 2 TID
Strontium (680mg) x2 BID
Boron 3mg QD
Vit K2 MK7 (150 mcg Vitalady) x2
Vit K2 MK4 (20 mg elixor SL) QD
Vit K1 (1K mcg) QD
Vit D3 (50K dry) x 4 QD--I am going to up that to total 250K as my last value was 70--so much better!
And all the other stuff, but it doesn't particularily pertain to bone health, so not listed here. All fat soluables taken with my 2AM run to the potty. I make myself drink water before bed so I have to get up to pee and take those vitamins. Also take all thyroid supplements at the same time. I also really increased my walking.

My last DEXA scan showed improvement in just 6 months!
L-spine -2.7 to -2.5
Hip/Femur -2.5 to -1.1

I just had my labs drawn Tuesday and am waiting for the results. Need to do a 24 hr urine this weekend now that I have some time for myself.

One interesting thing---I finally, finally can join the One Hundred Club! After nearly 5 yrs.! I just returned from a 10 day long backpack trip into the Sawtooths. Off trail, 3 point climbing, bears, wolves, night river crossings. Lost 13 #'s! We did not pack enough food for the level of exertion. I ended up sharing my extra protein. I have only regained 3 #'s. Amazing what a difference 5-10#'s can feel like----Wonderful!

I forgot to say: I am not spilling ANY calcium in my urine, just not picking enough up--hence the switch to Calcium Acetate / Calcium Citrate blend. Until I pick up more Calcium GI wise, the bisphosphonate's would simply be a dangerous thing to try.

Julie R.
on 9/30/11 4:48 am - Ludington, MI
I'm glad to hear your DEXA showed improvement without bisphosphonates.   Nice going there in your hip/femur BD.   I think my hip was -2.75....my LS is in the -1-somethings...-1.65 or 1.75 or such.

Can you tell me more about the calcium acetate? 

I promised on a stack of bibles to the DEXA tech that I'd start walking again.   She also told me that Citracal now makes a really tasty calcium CITRATE gummy - she thought it would help to try to have as much liquid/chewable as possible.

I'm taking about 5-7,000 of calcium a day...some in hydroxyapatite, some in citrate.     I think I'm going to try going even higher on the D....the highest I've tried has been 200,000 and it didn't do anything.     I'm also going to call Dr. Stewart's office and ask about the injectable D to see if my doc can get information about it.  

duncans
on 9/30/11 5:27 am
I met with my first Endo abt 1 yr ago, a couple F/U's, then he decidided to take a leave. So on to his recommended Endo in the same dept, do not like him as well, not so open-minded and , while being the University's WLS endo, does not seem too well-rounded with regard to DS'rs.

1st Endo suggested trying the Calcium Acetate, as he felt it was the most readily absorbed, but hard on the tummy (yes, even my stomach of iron complains if I don't take it with food). He felt that C. Hydrxyapatite was not  any better absorbed than C. Citrate. He suggested , in addition to the C. Acetate, that I take as much calcium citrate in as I possibly could in between the C.Acetate doses. Said some sources state taking it with a food source of calcium (milk, yogurt, etc) may help with better uptake. He was supportive of the Strontium. @nd Endo hadn't even heard of Strontium! He told me that he had several recalcitrant patients who were taking an obscenely huge Vit D3 dose of 100K.  He was taken aback with my pointing out (he should have read my chart) my current dose. He did say some people simply do not make much despite skin exposure to the sun ( I am in the sun a lot! ) and some people (non WLS) don't pick up much via GI tract despite heavy supplementation.

The info out there re: calcium acetate is really targeted at the renal patient and used for phosphate/phospherus control. I haven't yet seen anything re: use in osteoporosis. I was just willing to give it a try.

We are the new pioneers, learning and sharing our experiences.

Julie R.
on 10/2/11 10:19 am - Ludington, MI
 My endo doc also recommended taking my calcium with dairy too.   Someone on here pointed out though - if we aren't absorbing calcium - would this be kind of a like a "double negative" effect?   Or is it specifically related to the dairy aspect of the source?    Even though the c. hydroxyapatite is reported by your doc to be only as effective as citrate, (I've read that it's slightly more effective than citrate) I still like to take it because with the huge doses of calcium I take, it keeps me from being too constipated.

Kayla B.
on 9/30/11 5:32 am - Austin, TX
Can you elaborate on the 20mg MK4 elixir?  What is it and where do you get it?  Is there a link you can share?
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
duncans
on 9/30/11 5:55 am, edited 9/30/11 5:58 am
Hi Kayla,
I just decided to try it after reading multiple sources, including Vitalady's Yahoo forum. I can't remember where I purchased it, but most likely used Amazon's cheapest source, as it is quite expensive. Produced by Thorne Research , Vit K2, MK4. Their recommendation:15 drops 1-3x's q day. Since it is in a dropper, I dripped out 15 drops and visualized / approximated what that volume is in the dropper . I am using it subligually q day. I have no guidelines to back me uo, just being my own guinea-pig. It can't hurt and I am willing to try what makes sense. I am seeing improvement.
But, overall, my personal goal is to figure out how to get more calcium into the bloodstream. Then I will get the best benefit from all of the other supporting supplements.

I do not claim to have any expertise, just my own experience. Always open to learning.
It is oil based, but quickly and completely absorbed before leaving the mouth. So, I guess that makes it a tincture.

Kayla B.
on 9/30/11 6:02 am - Austin, TX
Nice.  I think I found it.

http://www.thorne.com/Products/Vitamins/prd~K170.jsp

Interesting.  Just hadn't heard of it before.  Pretty expensive. 

I have been taking MK4 from carlson, but it's just 5mg.

osteotech is also supposed to have high doses of mk4 available.  This bottle o'stuff seems expensive.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 717 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1024 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 343 views