Question About Birth Control

Chantelle R.
on 9/12/11 10:33 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hey I have a question about DS'ers and taking Birth Control? I have asked a few of my friends who have had surgery but everyone has a different answer...I want to take it cause I find that now being 4yrs out my Periods are all messed up or are heavier then before so if anyone can give me some advice that b great...thanks Chantelle frm Ontario

HW375..GW140-160 

newyorkbitch
on 9/12/11 12:13 pm
Do you want this just to regulate your periods,  or do you want to avoid getting pregnant?  Or both?
Jennifer D.
on 9/12/11 12:21 pm, edited 9/12/11 12:21 am
I get depo-provera shots once every 4 months. I have no periods or any of the horrible symptoms I used to have associated with them. I was told by a nurse from Henry Ford that it could cause water retention but not actual weight gain.
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 3:05 pm
That nurse was wrong.

Depo has a known possible side effect of weight gain.  Known.  Doesn't happen to everyone, but it CAN happen, and did for me.  I was on it for almost 10 years, and due to Depo and other hormonal and metabolic factors, I gained 80-90 pounds in that time frame.  Many different doctors have told me that the Depo most likely was a significant factor in that gain.  I don't want to scare anyone away from considering it as an option, but I do want all considering it to be aware that it is a real possibility.

To answer the original question, if you're looking to prevent pregnancy, you need to look at methods that don't involve the digestive tract, if you have a surgery that has any malabsorption at all, like RNY or DS.  The pill isn't as reliable for us, because of the malabsorption.  Look into other methods like NuvaRing, an IUD, Depo, or Norplant.  I wouldn't suggest the patch, given that several studies have linked it to a higher rate of nasty complications.
Mdae
on 9/12/11 4:05 pm
i have essure, it's permanent, but non-hormonal, non-surgical, and i combined it with ablation.  i have 'pantyliner periods' now.  1 day, maybe 2.

* Nicole *
on 9/12/11 9:46 pm
During the major WL years, is when pill form BC is truely not effective because of our large hormonal dump from WL. It basically makes it null.

Once your stable and out from surgery you can take pill form. I advise Nuva-Ring though in general. Its not required to travel the blood stream. But in my case I have hormone issues and only a strong oral BC could control it, so I had to say so long to the Nuva.

At 6 years out and being on oral BC for over a year now, I've had no issues.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Chantelle R.
on 9/13/11 1:11 am - Scarborough, Canada
I'm wanting the BC for periods only..my hubby is fix so no babies for me :) lol ...thanks for all your advice :)

HW375..GW140-160 

newyorkbitch
on 9/13/11 1:25 am
Then try depo-provera, and see how you do.  Talk to your gynecologist about it. 
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 1:28 am
Just a warning on the Depo - it has impact on calcium in the bones over the long term - I went off b/c of this.

I'm now on the Nuvaring - no issues.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1057 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1220 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 506 views