Need some info on diet of the DS

Nancy K.
on 6/28/11 12:17 am, edited 6/28/11 12:18 am - Cornwall, Canada
Hi all,

Since I will be having the surgery soon, can someone please tell me what I will be eating so I can start to stock up now.

I haven't gotten that info yet and well, I'm seeing a nut in a weeks time and want to be prepared, just in case she doesn't give me the proper info.

The Ottawa WLS is mostly for the RNYers.

I have looked online and I don't really get the answers, except what will happen if you eat fat, or carbs, etc.

Besides, I would like to know for myself, lol.

Hugs,
Nancy
  JAN135 & CONNIE - Earthly  Angels 

BMI 71.44 -- Goal BMI 25.5    Old Weight--385    New --349 lbs   Goal weight is 135 

Weight  to lose is   243
beemerbeeper
on 6/28/11 12:30 am - AL
You will start out on whatever diet your surgeon puts you on and progress as per their directions.  Every surgeon has a different plan from literally eat whatever you want, to several weeks of liquid only and everything inbetween.

If you want to know how we eat after we are cleared to eat anything by our surgeon I suggest you check out the bites and vites thread which is posted daily to get a sample of the kinds of things people eat.

For me I eat very high protien, very low carb and fairly high fat.  I do not eat wheat gluten, or lactose and I limit sugar alcohols because these are items that I know give me terrible gas.

YMMV.

~Becky

Nancy K.
on 6/28/11 12:55 am - Cornwall, Canada
Thank you so much for the information Becky.

I will go and find that site.

Hugs,
Nancy

BMI 71.44 -- Goal BMI 25.5    Old Weight--385    New --349 lbs   Goal weight is 135 

Weight  to lose is   243
Lisey
on 6/28/11 1:02 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Ditto what Becky said.  I would order sample packs of the protein powders from vitalady.  Taste buds often change after surgery, so we recommend getting a variety of flavors where you're not buying a whole tub - b/c you might not like a particular flavor that you just love now.  Seriously.  Weird, but true.  One of the first things you will be cleared for is protein shakes.  Having a few to sample can then guide you to what to pick in a larger quantity.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Nancy K.
on 6/28/11 1:14 am - Cornwall, Canada
Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

I will go and check on her site now.

Hugs,
Nancy

Weight  to lose is   243
Elizabeth N.
on 6/28/11 1:40 am - Burlington County, NJ
The basics of DS eating: 100 or more grams of animal source protein per day without regard to fat content, and limit your carb intake.

Basically once you're eating a full diet you will want to eat meat/fish/fowl/eggs/high protein dairy like cheese and yogurt first, low carb veggies (this excludes stuff like peas and corn) second, and everything else a distant third.

A good rule of thumb for working up to full protein intake as you heal from surgery: 30-60-90. 30 grams of protein daily by 30 days postop, etc.

Your nut will know ZILCH about the DS. I promise you that.

Get educated about your supplements, too.

Nancy K.
on 6/28/11 8:40 am - Cornwall, Canada
Thank you so much for taking the time to send me this, I will go through all the links.

And I'm sure your right the NUT won't know a thing, that is why I have to be prepared and do the searching myself, hense this email to the group.

Hugs,
Nancy

Weight  to lose is   243
Amy_Kleve
on 6/28/11 9:10 am - Adrian, MN
No peas or corn

What are some examples of low-carb veggies?

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Elizabeth N.
on 6/28/11 9:16 am - Burlington County, NJ
Leafy things, peppers, tomatoes, cukes, squash, raw sugar snap peas, raw carrots (they absorb faster cooked), celery, rutabaga, cruciferous veggies (belonging to  cabbage family, such as broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi etc., most squash varieties, radish varieties, jicama, celery root.....The list goes on.

newyorkbitch
on 6/28/11 12:48 pm
I eat peas and corn all the time...
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 942 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1156 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 408 views