3 yrs Post RNY- Bloated and with a hot stomach ???

Bubblishouz
on 4/1/12 5:24 pm - Fresno, CA

I'm almost 3 years post RNY and for the past 1-2 months I've been getting bloated and a hot stomach after eating.  Doesn't matter what I eat.  It can be grilled chicken breast, an orange, soup, salad, no matter what I eat I get bloated and a hot stomach (as if my stomach had a fever).  Small portions is not as uncomfortable but if I eat a normal portion of food I'm uncomfortable for 2-4 hrs after.  I had an appt with my surgeon a couple weeks ago and he had me complete a CT scan.  CT scan was negative.  Doc says if symptoms persist or worsen his only option is to perform an exploratory surgery with possible gall bladder removal if no problems are found.  ????  I'm not sure that EXPLORATORY surgery sounds convincing.  Why would I let my Doc cut me up and not even know what he is going after???  Has anyone had any of these symptoms?? and if so, what was the final outcome??  By the way, symptoms started out as a really sharp pain to the left side of my belly button and ever since then bloating and hot stomach are my symptoms.  No pain really unless I eat a large portion of food.

horselovenlady
on 4/3/12 3:43 pm
VSG on 04/15/13
I only wanted to comment on your Dr. possibly doing exploratory surgery. Having been in the medical field (retired) this would be a flag to me that your Dr. is caring and a good Dr. This is done more often than what you realize. Not every test will show things. This could be one or two of several possibilities, related or non-related to your WLS. Just wanted to let you know my thoughts.. Hoping you feel better and your problem either resolves itself or the Dr. finds an outcome that will rectify your problem.

"Make good choices right now. Discipline doesn't always feel good but later on it yields a harvest in our lives if we make right choices." ~ Joyce Meyer ~

LB 7/2008 LB Removed 2/2012  HW:225  LW:165

Sleeve Date 4/15/2013 / HW:240  SW:228  CW:165  GW:140  HT: 5'2"

Bubblishouz
on 4/3/12 9:41 pm - Fresno, CA
Thanks so much for your comment.  Any input right now is very helpful as I am clueless as to what may be causing my symptoms.  I have no doubt my doctor is a wonderful surgeon and I am very blessed to have chosen such a competent surgeon.  I'm just so tired of being in and out of the hospital and wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions/experiences to share.  I've had my WLS, 5 hernia repairs, Tummy tuck, tummy tuck infection and now this all in a 3 year period.  My surgeon has soo many years of experience I guess I just got my hopes up that he would know right off the bat what it was I had.  Today I ate 2 mandarins after my workout and my tummy got bloated and hot.  Waited a few hours and had 8 oz Grilled chicken breast (plain) for dinner and same thing, bloated and with a hot tummy.  No pain, just minor discomfort due to the bloating.  It doesn't help either that it's that time of the month.  I've decided to go on with life as is until discomfort becomes pain, then I will definately let the surgeon do what he must, exploratory surgery.

BTW, Congrats on your weight loss.  I wish you many more years of health and happiness.

lmp910
on 7/30/12 2:12 pm
 About a year ago I had and sometimes still do have what I describe as a "burning" stomach.  I had my gall bladder removed about 30 yrs ago (I'm 66) so I know it was not that.  I've gone to my surgeon and he sent me to the gastroenterologist (sp?) and he did every test and they all came up negative.
So, what triggers me is sugar alone in the stomach, some thing with acid, or ice cold water.  I can rub my stomach clockwise and it sooths the pain, also if have a bowel movement it lessens the pain, it just moves things out of the stomach down into the intestines.  I also take two Gaviscon antacid tablets (chewable) and they help coat the stomach.  So I just deal with it and watch out for the combination of food that I eat together.
Hope this makes some kind of sense. 
I was just crushing the board and thought I'd comment on your post, I know it's old.

Linda

Bubblishouz
on 7/31/12 1:14 am - Fresno, CA

Thanks for your post Linda.  This definately helps.  My surgeon couldn't figure it out neither and since it wasn't causing any other problems we just left it alone.  Basically he said just to keep an eye on what irritated my stomach when it got hot and to avoid/reduce consumption of those products.  Thankfully I have not encountered those problems recently.

Most Active