Can't get surgery in Calgary

jennyrenny
on 5/25/12 1:55 am - Canada
DS on 08/11/12

I began the Weight Management Program in Calgary a couple of months ago and at last week's meeting we were told that they are getting way fewer surgeries this year then they thought, so only a few people would be getting surgery done. We knew from the start some people wouldn't get chosen, but we didn't think the situation was quite so grim. We had all kind of been wondering how they pick who gets surgery, thinking that it was about who lost the most (kind of like the Biggest Loser). I took issue with that from the beginning, because personally if I could lose weight (and keep it off) on my own I wouldn't be considering surgery. The nurse told is that the more comorbidities one has, the more likely they are to get surgery since they are the sickest so they are also the most likely to benefit from surgery. The good news is that although my BMI is 52 I haven't been this heavy for too long so I don't have any comorbidities. Seems a shame that I would have to wait until I am really sick for my government to help out.

I have felt very discouraged since this meeting and have decided to have my surgery done in Mexico. I'm not going to wait until I have diabetes, high blood pressure and god knows what else until I get this taken care of. I was just wondering if anyone has been through the Calgary program and been turned down, and what their thoughts are.

Thanks,
Jenn

queitmouse
on 5/25/12 2:15 pm - Canada
 Hello, 

I too live in Calgary my Dr referred me to Dr. Norh in medicine hat 2 years ago I had my first appt with him march 6 th and was booked for surgery oct 13 2013 I was lucky and got a call for a cancelation appt for June 4 2011!!!! 

So basically what I am saying is do not give up hope ask if you can get referred to dr Norh or there is one dr in red deer too also there is one in Edmonton mine sent referrals to all the doctors and we call the offices to ensure they received our files too and kept calling so they did not forget about me and they knew I was serious about the surgery 

I think it is terrible to have brighten peoples hopes and drag them along in the calgary program then turn around and say sorry you are not picked They really should look at the program and consider some changes...

I hope your dreams come true for you soon!!! Hang in there :)
Calla Lily
on 7/3/12 9:42 am
RNY on 01/23/12
Im from Calgary as well. and i went to med hat with Dr Nohr. My first appointment was in April of 2011, then went on their cancelation list and had my RNY Jan 23. So nine months later. You should ask to be reffered to him. My experiance was great.

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Most Active