Back home after RNY

sidsid
on 5/21/12 10:09 pm
Well it will be a week today, rough week. Surgery Tuesday, got  nausea, a fever and hight heart rate that night so they went back in again the next day.
Ended up just being unable to fully inflate my lungs so got some fluid on my lungs. Apparantly my surgery and healing was great, surgeon was great too.
( You see more of the residents, they were great too)
Had not issue with this before but with an extended belly and horrible nausea, deep breathing was the last thing on my mind.
Out friday discharged myself a day early due to an overcrowding issue ( don't ask ) knew I would be more comfortable at home, still had horrible nausea until yesterday.
Now it's off and on and becoming more tolerable.
I knew I was dehydrating but switched to a non sweet gatorade with tons of ice, finally at about 400 mls a day. 
I am sure some of this nausea is related to getting rid of two sets of anesthetic.
The taste of the sweet stuff they offer you in hospital made me more nauseous. 
Hard to eat things I never liked like scrambled eggs, hot soft cereal etc. so went for what I craved and hoped to keep down. By this stage I had so little calories  or fluid over 6 days I was not concerned about what the dietican would say. I did keep to the one food, thicker fluid type as laid out in the post surgery instructions.
Nausea is starting to ease up been awake since 1 am, nausea meds finally starting to work. 
Still to weak to walk one flight of stairs without having a 10 min recovery time.
Its been a rough week, cant look at the stuff I bought ahead of time, the diet jelly, protein puddings eek the only thing that I enjoy is about 2 large teaspoons on Raseberry sorbet (a life saver)
The pain was really just discomfort for the first two or two, 6 days out I came lay comfortablely on my stomach.
Even though everyone said 'WALK" I couldnt with the horrible nausea.

I thought long and hard about writing this as hate to discourage those waiting for surgery.
It's better you know you might have a rough week, hope your first week goes smoothly.
Gizzys
on 5/22/12 1:02 am - Canada
Sorry to hear about your battle with nausea.  That is NO fun!  I tend to get very nauseous after surgeries.  I learned a few years back that if you know you get nauseaous with the anesthesia, tell the anesthesiologist and they will put additional meds in your anesthetic to combat it.  I wish I had known this years earlier because holy what a difference.  Every 5 years I have surgery to remove nasal polyps and I don't get nauseous at all anymore because of the meds they add.  Before, I would need gravol shots in the butt just to be able to open my eyes without barfing.
I was a bit nauseous after the RNY and only needed one gravol shot.  I shudder to think what it could have been like had I not had anti-nausea drugs added beforehand.  Ugh!

Anyhow, you are on the road to recovery now.  Remember to drink as much as you can to keep the dehydration at bay.  The protein, do the best you can.  I know I didn't have a whole lot the first couple of weeks, though I tried my hardest.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/22/12 4:17 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I appreciate hearing the down as well as the up, so thank you for posting. It's actually helpful to know that sometimes things aren't peachy-keen - that way I won't be shocked if my (hopeful) surgery doesn't go absolutely as planned.

I hope you're feeling much better soon and can start enjoying your new life.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Cutiegirl01
on 5/22/12 10:07 am - St Albert, Canada
RNY on 06/12/12
 I am so glad to hear you are at home and resting. I Kept checking this last week for any updates and was concerned when you had not posted.  I am sorry it was such a long haul for you and hope things have turned a corner in your recovery!  If you need anyone to talk to just message me.  I have not had surgery yet so can't speak from experience but can lend a listening ear.  Take care and keep us posted
Most Active