god this waiting ( for a surgery date ) is killing me

sidsid
on 4/27/12 10:55 am
 Waiting for Lorraine to call, wonder how many surgeries ( Bariatric ) Birch does a month?
I called her she said maybe 7 people in front of me, still no date.
Apparently I dont need the presurgery liquid diet.
Wonder how soon the PAC clinic date will be before the surgery....?
Might be late May, might be June, hate this waiting can't plan one's life.
I know .. I should just be patient.... anyone else waiting impatiently?
Cutiegirl01
on 4/27/12 11:59 am - St Albert, Canada
RNY on 06/12/12
 I saw Dr. birch on March 12 and just got my surgery date 2 weeks ago.  It is on June 12. I have not got a call about the PAC clinic, but have heard it is 2 weeks before surgery.  I do know that surgeries only happen on Tuesdays and that Dr. Birch only has every other Tuesday.  Lorraine also mentioned that he would be missing one of his days due to the long weekend or something in May.

Hope that helps!
sidsid
on 4/28/12 1:51 am
 OH new this makes sense why only 7 people are ahead and the long wait.
Two surgery day a month for Birch and only one in May. Maybe 4 or 5 surgeries a day hmmm.
I saw him March 26th so I am 2 weeks behind in the process than you are.
So that makes it late June or mid July. And he is taking summer vacation.
Great at least that makes it easier to understand.
Apt. 2 weeks prior for PAC clinic sounds right.
You are having the RNY also I see.
Boy did I ever go into 'last supper mentality" for two weeks.
I have to stop, funny I posted on the RNY surgical forum ( about the wait and Last supper mentality.
Wow such supportive responses and the last supper thing is sooo common.
The Alberta forum is very quiet, the surgical forum ( US/Canada wide) provides immediate support.

I wonder if they clinic had post surgical support networks, I am sure it has.
Been to the 'preparing for Surgery" sessions but not the 'maintaining the change" session.
Have you been to that one yet? mine is booked for  May 9th, if I remember correctly.

Anyone found any non bitter liquid protein supplements to add to any liquid? 
Havent tried the specialty stores like GMC or Popeyes yet, one of the sources (? whey or soy ? ) is so bitter I cant cover the taste in soup or anything. 
Suggestions on tasteless protein additives for the future?
Thanks for the response Cutegirl01.
Keelan
on 4/28/12 2:55 pm
I don't know if you mentioned it to Lorraine about not having to do a liquid diet but it can change things up for you. If she gets a cancellation she would be aware to call you before someone who has to do the pre-op diet. I got called months before my expected date and only had 5 days notice to prepare for surgery all because Lorraine knew I didn't have to do the liquid diet.
Also things have changed a little but I was told that it was very important between the time of getting approved for surgery and your pre-surgery way in usually a few days before surgery at the clinic that you can't gain weight and if you have even just 1 pound that the surgeon will cancel your surgery. It's hard cause there are certain things that you want to get your full of but don't sabotage yourself by having the last supper mentally.

Good Luck,

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

sidsid
on 4/28/12 10:32 pm
Thanks for the tip, will let Lorraine knew my chart indicates I dont need the pre-op liquid diet

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/5/12 3:48 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
What makes it so some people have to do the liquid diet and some don't?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sidsid
on 5/6/12 1:00 am
 Hi Kelly -Anne,
Not 100% sure but my guess is that because I don't carry the majority of me weight in the upper abdomen; likely I dont have the fatty liver and upper adbo weight to fight with through the surgery.

The surgeon makes the decision about the pre-surgery liquid diet and he decided I didnt need it.
Ask your RN or dietian, they could give you a better answer ( or confirm mine )
lmfgrp
on 5/5/12 9:30 am - Canada
Yeah it is hard, however I had a pre liquid diet and was called with 2 weeks notice due to someone cancelling.  So it may happen any day!!
teenuh
on 5/6/12 11:31 pm - Canada
 I heard from a friend in our local support group that also had Dr Birch that he doesnt like the liquid pre-op diet...not sure how much truth there is behind that but thats just what i heard...

HW:369lbs  SW: 296.4lbs CW: 201lbs GW: 180
Surgery: VSG  Date: January 9, 2013
M1 - 24lbs M2 - 11lbs M3- 13.6lbs M4 -13.4lbs m5 -12lbs m6 -12lbs m7- 7lbs

Most Active