jenlmaz’s Posts

jenlmaz
on 11/16/23 11:58 pm
Topic: RE: Gastric bypass hypoglycemia

Yes. For me it's gotten to the point of if I eat any carbs. Doesn't matter when.

jenlmaz
on 11/16/23 11:56 pm

Yes I'm grateful that my insurance is paying for the continuous glucose monitor and the ozempic. I'm still on a lower dose of ozempic so I haven't noticed it helping much yet but I'm going to continue to titrate up to give it a shot. I have lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks on it so that's a plus. I have consulted with another bariatric surgeon and he said reversal helps for some and not for others . I don't want to go through a surgery where I don't know if I will get results or not. so I'm really hoping ozempic will help.

jenlmaz
on 9/30/23 1:25 pm

I had dumping for the first 2 yrs ..so I did not eat any carbs or sugar..then after getting to goal , maintaining it and lots of therapy ... I ate a normal diet. Did that for 15 yrs no problem with dumping, blood glucose issues and maintained weight..What's happening now is due to the rerouting of gastric bypass it's caused damaged pancreas cells . Endo did say it generally occurs 2 yrs after gastric bypass but has seen cases like mine where it's 15+ yrs later and not sure why it occurs that late for some people.. So with me..it has rapidly progressed in the past 6 months to where eating any sugar, any simple or any complex carbs shoots up glucose high and then drops it low. Doesn't matter if I eat carbs with a mix of fat and protein. I was looking at a reversal but that doesn't fix the damaged pancreas cells. A partial pancreas removal can help but then you risk getting diabetes. Currently trying ozempic to regulate insulin.

jenlmaz
on 9/27/23 9:14 pm

Just an fyi.. I had gastric bypass 20 yrs ago and all of a sudden any carbs or sugar will raise my blood glucose and then drop it. Endo did a lot of labs to see if my pancreas is putting out too much insulin and it is.This is not dumping. It's called Postprandial hypoglycemia and it develops due to the disregulated insulin released from pancreatic ?-cells . It's a possible Complication of gastric bypass. My glucose has been as low as 36 so very dangerous. Almost all insurance companies would not pay for a continuous glucose monitor unless you are diabetic. I have been paying the self pay price and it's expensive. Thankfully recently Medicare/Medicaid has decided to expand the coverage for hypoglycemia and other insurance companies should follow if not already.

jenlmaz
on 9/23/23 1:53 pm
Topic: RE: 21 years RNY post op

True! Some surgeons actually still do recommend flint stones vitamins! CRAZY! My gastro just diagnosed me with SIBO too and they now know that is gastric bypass related. I get that gastric bypass was new and they have found new complications but did they even think to consult with gastroentetologists and endocrinologists to discuss potential issues this rewriting of organs could cause?

jenlmaz
on 9/23/23 1:47 pm

Thank you! You take care as well.

jenlmaz
on 8/9/23 9:23 pm

Same. My gastric bypass was 20 yrs ago. I have not ever gone past 200 so I'm happy with the weightloss however now all of a sudden if I eat carbs or sugar my glucose skyrockets and then plummets to a low. Endo says it bariatric hypoglycemia and has me on acarbose. It's slows down carb absorption . It has helped a little. But yeah I have been at 40 at 1 am and barely conscious so it's very dangerous. After that I got a continuous glucose monitor. My insurance won't pay for it because I'm not diabetic . I have an appt next month with a bariatric surgeon. I'm going to ask about reversing the gastric bypass. I'm pissed no one knew this was a possible complications 20 yrs ago.

jenlmaz
on 8/4/10 5:33 pm
Topic: RE: FYI for people struggling with vitamin deficiencies.
Because I am so low on vitamin A and D  and I  am  getting the  multivitamin iv...It is a huge dose run over a 5 hour period and my doctor wrote a  standing order for me to go in every month for the next six months at least.  
jenlmaz
on 8/4/10 9:00 am
Vitamins A, D, E, K, C,  B1, B2, B6 ,B12,  Biotin, ,folic acid and  niacin.  I was also a little low on zinc so they added a bag of zinc to the bag of multivitamins.
jenlmaz
on 8/4/10 8:56 am
Thanks Dave but I have already tried that  regimen...I am just not orally absorbing certain vitamins well any longer. A rare occurance but it does happen in some weight loss patients.
jenlmaz
on 8/4/10 7:01 am
I am doing better thanks and after a couple more vitamin  iv 's, I will be doing  even better.
jenlmaz
on 8/4/10 6:52 am, edited 8/4/10 6:55 am
I am 7 years out from rny surgery  and have struggled with some vitamin deficiencies for the past few years. Specifically D, A and K. Despite the fact that I do and have always taken the right form and correct amount.  Vitamin D has being the worst... I have osteoporosis due to this and my D levels have been staying at around a 4.  My doctor was stumped at how to treat this and she called my weightloss surgeon to discuss it with her and my surgeon wouldn't even call her back.  I did some researching on my own and found out that  most hospitals have outpatient ambulatory services where among other things... they offer various  iv treatments. So last week I I went in and got a multivitamin iv infusion. It is covered by insurance. I have to go in every month until my levels are back up to normal but at least, after 3 years of dealing with this I found a solution. Even with this issue I would have the surgery again in a minute but it is bothersome to me that the medical field, including the bariatric surgeons either think the patient is deficient due to not being compliant or 2. just don't seem to know how to deal with the vitamin deficiency issue that can occur after surgery. Their advice is to just take the correct form and to up the dosage. Well I did that and still came up deficient and I know there are others in the same situation.  
jenlmaz
on 8/4/10 6:39 am
Topic: RE: Anemia at 2 years out?
Hi! I am 7 years out but a few years after my  rny surgery I became anemic due to low iron levels. Not sure exactly why as I was taking the correct form of iron ( carbonyl) .It can take a few years to become depleted and to use up the bodies reserve. I was referred to a hemotologist and received an iron iv drip. It brought my iron levels right back up to normal..
jenlmaz
on 4/5/10 11:27 am
jenlmaz
on 4/5/10 11:26 am
Topic: RE: vitamin deficiency question
 I take the dry forms of both D3 and  vitamin A.  Current dose is... D3 50,000 X 2 and A is 25,000 x 3  daily...I have been on higher doses in past and still labs are low.
jenlmaz
on 4/5/10 10:52 am, edited 4/5/10 10:57 am
ElonMyForehead ~It's frustrating  to be in a position where it seems no matter how much you take in the correct form, it doesn't make a difference.  I haven't noticed any problems yet from the vitamin A deficiency but due to being chronically deficient in vitamin D  I have osteoporosis at the age of 38. How did you get your hands on the vitamin A ?  ...I can't find a pharmacy who carries it ,nor  do any of their suppliers.
jenlmaz
on 4/5/10 10:46 am
jenlmaz
on 4/5/10 4:55 am
Topic: RE: WLS for 12 and 14 yeaar olds - advice/input needed
I understand how hard it is to be overweight at that age because I was but I would not let my 12 or 14 year old have weightloss surgery. I had rny  6 years ago and  it requires a lot of life changes,behavior changes and discipline that is hard even for an adult to handle and I do not think someone that age could handle it. 
jenlmaz
on 4/5/10 4:51 am
Topic: RE: My overweight sibling has become jealous
I lost a good friend due to this...We were both overweight and after I had the surgery and started losing weight...she started acting differently. She actually said that she felt like I was in a club that she couldn't join.  We had been friends for 15 years but now we are no longer friends and I do miss her. I thought our friendship was based on more than just  our common love of food.
jenlmaz
on 4/5/10 4:46 am, edited 4/5/10 6:43 am
I had rny 6 years ago and  have been very happy with the results. I have started at 275 and got down to 150 and maintained that weight  for years, until a year ago when I had my daughter.I gained some pregnancy weight and currently weigh 170. That isn't the issue though. I am chronically deficient in vitamin D and vitamin A. It doesn't matter what  kind of supplement or how many or how high the dose is, I am just not absorbing D and A. I have tried sublingual and liquid as well and my levels stay the same.When I had my daughter I had a csection and my ob ordered a multivitamin drip before I left the hospital...that was the only time in 5 years that all of my labs came out great but that only lasted 6 months. My vitamin A and D levels are currently  both below 5. My primary doctor is at a loss of how to handle this issue. I do get b12 injections and my b12 levels have always been fine and Vitamin A and D do come in injectable form too but I can't find a pharmacy who carries it . It would be great if I could just go into the hospital twice a year and get a multivitamin drip but that doesn't seem to be an option. Anyone else having this issue and how is your doctor treating it?
Most Active