Foods you can no longer eat

Jester
on 3/15/18 1:55 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

There may be hope for the eggs yet! Like others reported, I struggled with eggs for about 1.5 years post-op. Eating them just made me nauseated. It's the only food that had that effect. But now I eat them several times a week, no problems.

I can't eat fi**** gets stuck every time. I can eat shrimp and scallops. But can not eat lobster or crab (same effect as the fish).

I also can't tolerate ground meats. I'm fine with chicken or steak, however I can only eat very small portions (2-3 oz at most).

The eggs I can't explain. I believe the issue I have with a lot of meat/fish is due to my stoma. My surgeon has long suspected I had a bit of a stricture. I recently had a scope done due to an ulcer, and while in there he (unsurprisingly) noted that the opening at my stoma was quite small. He's considering a dilation, but I'm hesitant as I kind of like it and it keeps me honest.

Oh, and sugar. If I have more than 7-10g in a single setting I get RH. Another side-effect I like.

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/18 5:36 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

Yes. Oh my goodness I miss soup. I miss just eating soup like a regular soup eating person, instead of eating the liquid first and the solids later. Soup was always my second favorite food. Sushi is my first favorite and I've started to let myself eat it again. Yum!

Caff
on 3/15/18 8:04 pm

So happy to hear about eggs. I can now tolerate egg whites and often have them hard boiled or in omelettes. But I miss eating a proper egg. I'll try again in 6 months.

Otherwise no other intolerances. I have been very conservative though - at 5 months post-op I still haven't tried raw leafy greens or bread or rice. I figure they don't have much value value at this time anyway.

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/16/18 4:13 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Lettuce is difficult for me so I can only have a couple of bites of a salad. I'd like to be able to have a bigger one with chicken or taco meat on it than my tummy lets me have.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

catwoman7
on 3/16/18 4:20 am
RNY on 06/03/15

the first few months are touch & go, but at almost three years out, I can eat just about everything now. However, raw vegetables sometimes bother my stomach (although not always - and I do eat them now), breads/pastas sit there like a rock (so I rarely eat those - plus they take up a lot of valuable real estate), and although I can eat sugar, too much of it at one sitting (like a large piece of cake) often gives me a massive sugar buzz.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

jannshaff
on 3/16/18 4:27 am
RNY on 12/28/16

It took me 15 months post op before I could tolerate eggs again. Now I eat them all the time...it's a good thing because I raise chickens and have lots of eggs LOL

Nknerr
on 3/16/18 8:09 am
VBG on 12/07/17

Yeah, we have 14 chicken BECAUSE I love the eggs, and now what!?!!

Natalie

2/2017: 340 VSG: 12/7/2017 - 272 1/29/18: 253

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/18 7:55 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I can eat everything. Though my ability to handle very sweet things has dwindled. Too sweet makes me nauseated. Early out I had a lot of trouble with ground turkey. Not just meat, but ground turkey.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/18 11:44 am

I can eat anything I want - as long as I am willing to suffer the consequences.

Come of the consequences can be:

• weight gain
  • nausea
  • indigestion
  • nasty gas after (horrible smell - i.e. any type of beans or high fiber bread product)
  • pain after eating and getting really gassy (some fruits, veggies)
  • food allergies - and intolerance symptoms (itching, loosing my voice,)
  • dumping (mostly on high sugar items)
  • fat flush -like dumping but different since I don't get heart racing plus RH after
  • RH - reactive hypoglycemia app 30-90 min after eating.

As time passes - list of foods that I can get reaction to got longer as I discovered new foods and my system was getting used to the new plumbing. But the list was never static. It changes from year to year, sometimes more often than that. I also get aversion to some foods. Foods I use to like and tolerate - suddenly I can't stand them any longer. Then my "desire" changes again.

I often feel like I am a cat - you know the one that is very picky what food she likes ...then you find one she devours and you buy a case only to figure it out that she no longer fancy that one. We have a cat like that at home. But with 3 cats - the other 2 would eat food that she no longer finds desirable.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/18 1:53 pm

I totally appreciate the picky little kittens as clean-up people.

They do trust me enuf to come running for s treat .

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views