Surgery Doubt!!

SassyItalian
on 11/8/15 6:57 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

The day before my surgery, my father called and tried to get me to reconsider, he offered to drop thousands of dollars to send me to a "fat farm" where I could lose weight without risking my own life...but I had been there, done that, lost it, gained it, and was desperate. 

Almost 5 years later, I am thankful every day that I made this decision. I would still be in that twisted web of yo-yo dieting, overweight, depressed, and unhealthy. I would not be who I am and where I am today (performing hours of surgery, standing without back pain, no way!). 

This is a scary thing. It is a major thing. The recovery and transitioning sucks. But you know what, I don't even remember any of that. Leave it all in the dust. 

Sassy

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

catwoman7
on 11/8/15 7:39 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I suspect most people are a bit (or a lot bit!!) fearful, but I'm sure your surgeon has gone over the statistics with you.  This really has become a routine surgery - it's been done millions of times and knowledge and techniques have improved greatly over the years.   It's not the risky surgery that it was years ago.

my surgeon told me that gastric bypass has a 0.3% mortality rate - VSG is even less.   That means you have at least a 99.7% chance of pulling through just fine - those are some darn good odds!!   It's about the same as having your gall bladder out, and much less risky than having your hip or knee replaced.  I am confident you'll get through this just fine!!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 408 views