Dealing with snarky co-workers

Laura in Texas
on 10/23/15 4:17 pm

I told everyone. I had nothing to hide. Yes, the first year or so there were a lot of questions and comments, but they did eventually stop. No one was negative towards me.

Hopefully you will use this as motivation to lose all of your excess weight and keep it off. If they are snarky now, I can only imagine what they will say of you gain it back.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Donna L.
on 10/24/15 7:35 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was honest when asked about why I was taking off work. I didn't volunteer information, but neither did I lie. I don't volunteer information in general. If people are curious I answer honestly without providing 1 million details unless they ask me for them. When I gave my request for time off, I stated the reason I was having surgery. No one asked why or cared. I mean, it's not really surprising when someone 430 pounds gets WLS...

Most people don't really care, to be honest. I have mostly female co-workers, but they've all been supportive or indifferent. Very few people have been snarky, my parents among them, and I don't care, frankly. If an individual isn't supportive of you, it's obvious they are not empathic or caring to begin with, and not worth a time investment--co-worker or otherwise.

WLS is really exceptionally common now as people mentioned. The only reason we don't "see" successful patients out and about is, because, of course, we're skinny after we lose weight! Every single doctor appointment I had pre-op I met someone randomly in the waiting room or on staff who had WLS and they mentioned it first without me saying anything once they knew why I was there. For all you know, some of your coworkers have even had it. :****rtainly was surprised that the very skinny cardiologist who ordered my stress test for surgery had the DS himself!

Tangent aside, just be honest and be yourself. Whether it's talking about weight loss anything else, that almost always guarantees success.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views