Wasted Nutrition Class!!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/14/15 11:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Yup. I had one doc look at my labs, told me my levels were perfect, and then said I was taking way too much of certain things. If my levels were right where they need to be, then I'm taking the right amount. Can they not see the contradiction in their advice?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

psychoticparrot
on 10/13/15 12:41 pm

I knew from many nutritionists' advice over the years that some are well-informed and up-to-date, and others are ... well ... not. Before sleeve surgery, I decided to educate myself about nutrition by reading a wide variety of book about bariatric nutrition and nutrition in general, and then decide for myself what constituted a healthy diet. The nutritionist on my surgeon's team told me I HAD to eat meat to stay healthy. I knew that I did NOT. While I do eat meat several times a week (as a compromise with my carnivorous husband), most of my meals are meat- and dairy-free. My feeling of well-being and my bloodwork prove to me that I am on the right track.

It was good of you to step in as a the de facto nutritionist for your fellow sleevers. It's surgeons like that (and there are a ton of them) and even many nutritionists who give advice that's just WRONG.

In the end, you are your own best doctor.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Neesie57
on 10/13/15 9:34 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

You are so right. I have made it my responsibility to do the right things after my surgery. No one can do for me, so I need to make sure I do my research. When I left the doc's office the other day I felt responsible for the other post-op patients. I wish I could have done more for them so they wouldn't feel lost when they got home and had to fend for themselves. The best advice I gave them was to come onto Obesity Help, so they can find out so much more.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Mwolfe
on 10/14/15 10:05 am
with

I had a VSG done on Feb 16 of this year. I found https://bitsyrecipes.com very helpful with recipes for each phase of my journey. Wishing you the best of luck as you continue on this journey!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views