Worried about mourning food

C J
on 9/30/15 6:55 am - , TN

Yes!!!!

Living > Existing

256/231/135

C J
on 9/29/15 11:53 pm, edited 9/29/15 11:55 pm - , TN

Thank you so much.  I fell blessed to have connected with you.  It helps to hear from someone who has been there....and "there" with the band is HELL!!!! I will try not to worry you to death, but please know, I appreciate you much!

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

psychoticparrot
on 9/30/15 4:58 pm

Anytime! If you have questions you want to direct to me, just message me. I check in with this site about twice a day. However, this weekend may be a problem -- I live on a boat on Chesapeake Bay, and that hurricane Joaquin may be headed my way! 

psychoticparrot

Tracy D.
on 9/29/15 4:20 am, edited 9/29/15 8:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You'll mourn food or maybe it's more accurate to say that you'll mourn the loss of what food used to do for you - push down scary feelings, numb you out to reality, take your mind off things.  But you'll get over that real fast once the pounds start to drop.  

And believe me - there will come a day when you'll be able to eat anything and everything you ate before.  Then an entirely new battle begins ;-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

bikrchk
on 9/29/15 12:04 pm

I thought I would too, but I just... didn't.  I was a little more restrictive while I was losing, but especially now that I'm in maintenance, I can just eat what I like in small quantities. The cravings DID decrease a lot but I still eat a small sweet treat regularly, and enjoy small amounts of bread, pasta and potatoes on occasion.  I focus on protein first, and the sleeve takes care of satiety so there's just not a lot of room for much else.  I look at it as a gift that I can now enjoy a few bites of the things I love and walk away satisfied.

Sweat is fat crying

Paula1965
on 9/29/15 9:29 am
VSG on 04/01/15

I like your byline

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

happyteacher
on 9/29/15 4:54 pm

You won't "miss" food once you have transitioned. (The first few weeks are at points challenging, but by 6 weeks or so it is behind you.) The satisfaction level is comparable- you just eat much smaller quantities. I know that is hard to wrap your head around preop though. Also, in many ways the satisfaction level actually increases since you learn to recalibrate and many of us go for higher quality since we eat so little and it makes it relatively more affordable. I also would recommend that you post a list of 100 things to do instead of eat or something comparable to replace your eating moments with something healthier. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

hyder1ab
on 9/29/15 5:46 pm
RNY on 05/06/15

I had the same sort of panic in the months leading up to my RNY. I spoke to my PCP about it, a person who also struggled with her weight. And she told me something that resonated with me. She said "You have had a lifetime of pizza, cake, etc."  I have already had more than my share of these items, this was me starting a new life. Because honestly, how many times have we had one piece of pizza too many? Or an extra large piece of cake at a celebration? And, if you break it down, its been more than a lifetime of these foods.

mpk2001
on 9/30/15 5:50 am

This is something I am also worried about.  Yesterday I got the call scheduling my surgery for November 11th and this was the first thing that came to mind.  I think I am mostly worried about going out to dinner and how to handle the portion control aspect.

VSG: 11/11/15 // Age: 42 // Height: 5'3"

HW: 254 // SW: 235 // CW: 203 // GW: 155

lbmoore0
on 9/30/15 6:39 am

I'm only 6 weeks post op and I can tell you I have already gone from "living to eat" to "eating to live".  Food just isn't the fun part of my life anymore.  There are times when I think something looks SO good but when I'm satisfied with only a bite it's a huge victory for me!  I don't have trouble sticking to the things that are good for me and keep me healthy but if I do have a huge struggle I take a taste - just one.  It works for me!  Good luck on your sleeve!  It's the best thing I've ever done for myself!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 92 views