A Rite of Passage?

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/13 2:34 am

Your post transported me back to the time before my VSG surgery. I, too, was mourning the coming loss of food. I did have a food funeral a few nights before surgery. Here's the thing, though. I did not need to! There is nothing that is really off limits to me any longer. There are a lot of things I choose not to eat, but when it comes right down to it, I can eat whatever I want again. It's a choice. So, I wouldn't worry too much about NEVER being able to eat X or Y again. You will IF you choose to. The great thing is that it's going to be your choice!

In the back of my mind I did hope that the VSG would be a magic wand. And for me it turned out to be, indeed, just a little bit of the magic help I needed. ! It helped me lose the weight in a way that I had never before been able to - I wasn't hungry all the damn time! VSG was the magic wand that gave me the time to lose the weight without throwing in the towel after six weeks and eating so far off plan that I couldn't get back on. It was the magic wand that gave me the time to build some new habits and realize that food is fuel and that every meal doesn't need to be an ******ic gastronomic experience.

WLS is not the path I would have chosen for myself if I had been given the gift of foresight years ago. I would instead have laid out a much different path. One that didn't include addictive tendencies and behaviors. I felt much like you describe. I was ashamed in a way to have to admit that I was beaten. Obesity ruled and I drooled! But the more I learned about obesity and how much control I really DIDN'T have after almost 20 years of true morbid obesity (though I had been overweight since I was 6 years old) I began to embrace the surgery as my chance. I have taken that chance and run with it. I work it as best I can every day. Some days are easier than others.

I still have food issues, and I suspect I probably always will. However, I find it much more pleasant working on these issues outside of the cloak of obesity. I am fit, healthy, energetic, trim, and comfortable in my skin. It's a much more pleasant place to be to work on the big food issues that remain. I am no longer embarrassed by my food issues. They are part of who I am and I'm finally okay with that.

jpsp30
on 3/21/13 5:31 am - TN

Thanks for posting on this thread. I hope that I get the benefit of not being hungry. That is an appealing part of the process to me. I suppose the idea of restriction and hopefully hunger control will be what I need to help me be successful.

Jeff - Located in East Tennessee; Surgery by Dr. Mark Colquitt on 4/12/2013

Highest Weight- 511; Initial Consultation Weight - 474; Surgery Weight 450    

71dart
on 3/21/13 5:01 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
Sounds like you're in about the right place.

jpsp30
on 3/21/13 5:32 am - TN

I hope so!!!

Jeff - Located in East Tennessee; Surgery by Dr. Mark Colquitt on 4/12/2013

Highest Weight- 511; Initial Consultation Weight - 474; Surgery Weight 450    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 394 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op