Fastest way to reverse protein deficiency?

White Dove
on 7/22/19 6:29 am - Warren, OH

Increase protein, decrease carbs.

Do have protein shakes, meat, eggs, fish, cheese, dark green vegetables, and bone broth.

Do not have breads, cereal, sugars, flour, rice, potatoes, or corn.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Amy R.
on 7/22/19 8:49 am

Thank you Mary. Another vote for the shakes! Does protein powder expire?

White Dove
on 7/22/19 10:13 am - Warren, OH

I believe that they have a best used by date on them. I purchased canisters and kept them for a few months until they were used. I never did any long term storage.

All protein smells like spoiled milk to me, except for BSN Syntra-6.

When you open that canister and take a deep whiff, it smells like a box of cake mix.

It is the only protein powder I can stomach and it never expired, because I used it up quickly.

Nanners0828
on 7/22/19 10:43 am
RNY on 04/25/18

I do a protein shake for breakfast, 20 grams of protein for lunch, usually as a frozen dinner at work and have a normal dinner. I have not had any problem getting enough protein in. If I find I will have a dinner that is light on protein, I may have a second protein shake. I have never had significant hair loss and am 15 months post surgery.

White Dove
on 7/22/19 10:46 am - Warren, OH

By 15 months past surgery, you should not need protein shakes, unless there is a deficiency. You should be able to get all the protein you need from food.

Amy R.
on 7/22/19 11:05 am

While I'm glad you've found something that works for you right now I would caution about the shakes at this point in your post op life. Solid dense protein will keep you satiated longer. You might want to keep that in mind as you get closer to the end of your honeymoon period. Soon your malabsorption will phase out and when it does you're likely be back to calories in and calories out. The long term post op life requires constant vigilance and attention to any changes.

I blew this one because I was/am distracted with family stuff. It hasn't been my strongest moment.

Also, I didn't have hair loss at 15 months either and was not even close to protein deficiency. I am now over 10 years out though and believe me a lot changes between 15 months and 10 years. Probably I'd have let it get even worse before I noticed but my hair is now falling out and so are my eyebrows (!).

Amy R.
on 7/22/19 10:56 am

I also use the Syntha 6. For awhile I used their dessert flavors. The whipped vanilla cream was so incredible. But they discontinued that one so I switched over to their regular line and now have the vanilla ice cream flavor. I add SF vanilla pudding mix, a capful of quality vanilla extract, ice, and a bit of fruit. I'll be forever thankful to whoever it was who gave that combination many years ago. The BSN costs a bit more as does the bourbon vanilla but so worth it.

What do you do with yours Mary?

White Dove
on 7/22/19 11:02 am - Warren, OH

I am 11 years out and have not had a protein shake in many years. My favorite was the Syntha chocolate with frozen strawberries. It tasted like a Wendy's Frostie. We only need protein shakes when we cannot get enough protein from food.

Amy R.
on 7/22/19 11:08 am

You're right of course. This late in the game I wasn't using them either. Maybe 1% of the time. I think I mis-read your post and thought you were still using the Syntha.

My shakes end up being more calories than I've been comfortable drinking so haven't been good choices for me. But it looks like I may need to add one here or there until my labs look better.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/22/19 8:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 201 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 325 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?