depression or funk

Wallenmm
on 9/13/17 11:08 am - Hammondsport, NY
RNY on 08/09/17

Boy did I check the forums on the right day! I had my surgery August 9, so I'm just a couple days later than you. I am definitely in a funk and tired all the time in spite of sleeping well. I know I'm not getting enough water, so that might be part of it. Sorry to hear you are in the same state as me, but glad to know I'm not alone and this is to be expected. I keep telling myself this is just temporary!!

AngAng
on 9/13/17 11:55 am, edited 9/13/17 5:04 am

Exactly. I have finally started sleeping good.. and I mean like a rock. I'm not getting all my water in either, but honestly I don't drink anything else. Except today I discovered something heavenly!! Instant Hot Cocoa sugar free made with 1/2 the water and then 1 pod of decaf coffee.... YUMMO. its like Mocha Coffee. Super delish. I love coffee, and I can drink decaf with no problem. I tried a tiny bit of regular coffee... NOPE... hurt my little stomach. No more of that.

Maybe we are in mourning over some of the tasty foods we can't eat? I'm not sad, I'm just kind of in a fog... no motivation. I have the energy... I feel like I need a foot in my butt to get me going. LOL

AngAng

Revision Lap Band to RNY Approved 5/10/17 Surgery Date 6/6/2017

racemomss
on 9/14/17 11:28 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Me too! Had surgery at Aug 24th.. feel like my life is a snow globe turned upside down. everything is so not me anymore.. I am joining a support group.

ScottAndrews
on 9/13/17 11:15 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I vote funk.

Daisydoo02
on 9/13/17 11:22 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

call it whatever you want, depression, funk, the blah's its all a YES. Hormone dumping post surgery is real. And it affects both women and men post surgery. Estrogen is stored in fat, as we lose weight we lose estrogen and bam emotions all over the place.

And frankly this is A LOT to take in post surgery, the physical, mental, emotional and food changes are extreme and just frankly quite overwhelming, at least it was for me.

It took me about 6-8 months post op to start feeling "better" and not such a low mood. If you feel its more than just blah days do please speak to your MD or Centre. But hang in there you are certainly not alone in this, lots of us went through this, it does get better.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

AngAng
on 9/13/17 11:58 am

and... on top of it.. I am going through the wonderful "menopause"... hot flashes are super crazy. I thought I was going to die in the hospital. Now at home, my poor husband is miserable from sleeping in a freezing cold bedroom.

the blah's.. is a perfect description.

Dr told me.. you had 3 different surgeries, lap band removal, hernia repairs and rny... it will take a minute to be 100%.

I know that I will never be normal. LOL

AngAng

Daisydoo02
on 9/13/17 12:08 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

girl don't even get me started on hot flashes! I am peri-menopause and my poor skinny husband is ready to divorce me I keep the house so cold. At night I sleep with just a thin blanket the hot flashes are so bad, he has clothes on, a sheet, a duvet a blanket and a chenille throw on top of that, yup its the hot/cold war in our house LOL LOL

Just so you know I recently heard from a friend who is also my age and peri-menopausal and she was really feeling down and "off," she went to her doctor got some HRT (Hormone replacement therapy, in the form of a cream) and after a few weeks she is back to her old happy self. Not sure how far you are into menopause of if you are on HRT but my goodness, you have the trifecta of surgeries and menopause, girl my heart goes out to you!

Not being "normal" can be a good thing just make sure you take care of yourself okay, HUGS

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

seattledeb
on 9/13/17 7:15 pm

Buy a dual control heated mattress pad. It could save your marriage!

AngAng
on 10/23/17 2:01 pm

Let me tell you... the last time I had the hormone test my Dr told me that I had gone through menopause and she was shocked that I had gone through it and was finished so quickly. Well..I'm here to say, that if I was done with it then why am I still having these huge POWER SURGEs? It seems like I will have them for about 2 weeks.. then they will be gone for 4-6 months. Then they come back again full throttle.. and gone. My Mother who is 73 just informed me that she still has hot flashes. Oh My goodness.. I do not want hot flashes in my 70's. I am 53 years old. No thank you.

On the HRT, my doctor said that she would right an RX for HRT, but I am worried about the side effects of them and the likelihood of being cancer causing.

Yea, I had the surgery with all 3 procedures and was having hot flashes. I remember being in the operating room and having a hot flash when they were getting ready to put me under. I said..l here comes another flash, just put me under fast. boom, I was out. LOL

someone replied to me stating they had red flags because I tried a bite of onion ring. Red Flags? why? I had a bite and that was it. I will try something but I will not go back to the old style of eating. I am too strong willed for that. I have tried plenty of things, and have no desire to try them again. I had a taste of my Grandson's birthday sundae. he wanted to share it with me, I took a tiny bit.. and was done.

Love this place and everyone here.

AngAng

Gina 21 Years Out
on 9/13/17 11:40 am - Burleson, TX

YES YES YES Absolutely, positively COMMON and NORMAL !!

As DAISY said, Hormones are store in adipose tissue (also known as fat)..as the fat shrinks--often at an alarmingly fast rate-- the hormones are released, and left to RUN AMUCK--and--thus--they scramble our brains/emotions/motivation/libido/etc/etc

Especially libido...mine has gone south, for 15 years. It's the HORMONES, running amuck, I tell you!!! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 77 views