Low Ferritin levels

Shelley L.
on 12/15/16 5:44 pm - Canada

What is RLS? My level is 61 and I am experiencing all those symptoms. I have gotten  in touch  with  my  surgeon.  I am 8yrs post op

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/15/16 7:56 pm

RLS - restless leg syndrome.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/13/16 7:10 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

My story is about the same as the others -- I was always on the high side of normal for my iron before surgery.  Even after WLS, I ran a tad high -- ferritin was alway in the 120s.  I was fine until my second year -- I had surgery to repair a major hernia (ended up being three!) and lost a lot of blood.  I never could recover.  I went from an average in the 120's to 80 in one month and then down below 10 within a few months of that --

Long story short -- I had/have horrendous symptoms when my ferritin falls under 40: dizziness, light-headed, exhaustion, foggy-minded, hair thinning/loss, cold intolerance -- nerve pain -- ringing in my ears.  I have tried multiple supplements (the patches are the best, imho, for iron deficiency) -- but the infusions are definitely a godsend.  My hematologist couldn't believe my primary doctors and the surgeons let me get so low.  It's outrightly dangerous.

Anyhow, not much different that they others on here -- there was a fight to get a referral to the hematologist -- but it was worth it. 

I would demand a referral and get started on infusions immediately.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/16 10:09 pm

Hey!

so I'm still pre-op, but I am wondering: how does ones ferritin levels become low? Is it just a normal problem with the surgery? Or is it more of taking the wrong vitamins, not taking vits consistently, or poor food choice? Etc.

Eek, I hope my question sound like I'm blaming you for this problem. No way trying to! I'm sure you've done the right things, not trying to make you feel bad. Just trying to learn for my future surgery, ya know?

I hope whatever needs to be done (infusion or patches etc) can happen and you start feeling better. Keep fighting!

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/14/16 3:33 am

Post op RNY some of us have real problem absorbing any iron, meds, pills, or from food. Add multiple surgeries. Blood draws, some ulcers, inflamation.... Etc and the iron stores can be depleted . Typically it takes 2-3 years after RNY for iron stores to very very low for some who had normal - higher normal - ferritin. Mine was app 130 before RNY... At 2 years post op and 5 surgeries total (rny, GB re oval, hernia, breast lift and body lift) I was "out".  Either I was not taking enough or whatever I was taking was not absorb. 

I was eating lots of red meat, liver, eating greens ..etc..  I was taking some iron - but any oral iron caused severe cramps and pain.  I still tried. And suffered. ... 

Some people - are told they don't need iron.. Or are told to just take one pill. Some don't know that their ferritin are getting low because most docs don't test that until the patient become anemic. 

And some when they get tested - they don't monitor their labs (i did not until I was told by a vet to do it) and relay on a doc to tell them "you labs are fine". My lab normal for ferritin listed as "10-280" . So when mine were 11- my doc saw that as "normal"...when I feit like I was dying... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Eggface
on 12/14/16 3:01 pm, edited 12/14/16 7:01 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Ask your Dr about http://www.injectafer.com/ iron infusions (not sure availability in Canada) but it's the best delivery system... 30 minute sessions, 2 bags, a week apart. I was back up to great levels for 2 years now. Dr said I'll always battle it (well especially still having a cycle) so I get labs every 3-4 months but so far so good.

My ferritin was 2 BTW (yep not a typo 2) and I faithfully took iron and eat super rich in iron foods... just the double edged sword of a malabsorptive procedure.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Cosmos2112
on 12/14/16 6:32 pm

Pre op Ferritin is 78. Range for results 13-150. RNY 12/22/16. 

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 308 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 292 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??