Long-timers - how do you deal with holiday eating?

sweetpotato1959
on 11/20/15 3:04 pm

Kaniky,

I have read all the comments, lots of ways to handle this problem. Much of how you need to handle it is contained in your location in your weight loss journey. I had surgery for weight loss TWO decades ago. The surgery has changed, but the problems with supportive care has remained the same. The same problems occur today as did then.

My first regular foods post surgery was 2 weeks early and I had Thanksgiving turkey..about 1/2 ounce and a bite of stuffing.It was just as good as if I had eaten  the complete meal, since I was full when I finished.I was very careful to chew small bites completely and had no problems.

My advise..Choose ahead of time what you will make as YOUR primary food... Meat...and what your favorite side will be that is an allowed food..then give yourself permission after these are consumed, to eat a tasting of anything special... Thanksgiving is in a week, you will have time to plan your strategy...but don't get hung up on one days meal. the next day begins again anew.What you eat will affect how you feel. Be sure to note,..how you feel after you eat... if something tastes "too sweet" that is a good warning sign to stop.

Instead of having a heavy meal holiday ALL day, One choice could be, on Christmas eve to have a nutritional high protein shake,In the morning... this will give you freedom from actual cravings and give you more ability to know if it is hunger or emotional eating. .. For christmas Day,  I would save some kind of meat, turkey or ham for My primary finger food., and schedule my intervals for  eating..thus limiting the bad calories of the grazing on Christmas day..

Make a concentrated effort to get in your healthy fluids, water, a shake, what ever you choose...

Take this time, to  enjoy your family.!

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/15 2:30 am

I have to say traditions can be changed. Ham is a great protein I eat it all the time. I would focus on protein first. Plan your meals for Christmas day. Like make a nice breakfast casserole. Then have shrimp for lunch. I think it is okay to allow some wiggle room when you get to goal. 

It is so easy to fall back into bad habits. Like since you said Halloween you are having a struggle. There are so many good foods out there that are healthy and good to.

Remember when you ate all of that crap you felt crappy the rest of the day. So get some lobster, Shrimp. As Kim would say it's about quality not quantity.

This is a good present to give yourself. Giving yourself the gift of health. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 23 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views