Your eating habits 1+ years out.

Ladytazz
on 9/3/14 3:09 pm

Four years here.  Some things I still do, no drinking with meals or 30 minutes after.  No sugar, gluten or refined carbs.  No impulse eating, no open ended snack.  Protein first, my goal is 100 grams a day and 100 oz of fluids.

Some things I don't do any more is weighing and measuring my food and tracking.  I am not against those things, I just haven't found it necessary.  My weight is pretty stable but I am open if I do see some regain sneaking up on me to going back to those things.  For now if it works don't fix it.

It's all very individual and I've found I can't compare my eating to anyone else's because it can all be different.  I've met some post ops who eat whatever they want, when they want, drink with meals and still keep their weight off.  One for nearly 10 years and the other for about 13 years.  No regain with either.  I doubt that would work for me and I don't care to try it and find out.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Dartmouth
on 9/3/14 5:28 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks so much for asking that question!  It really helped me to read the vets' answers!  And thank you all for taking the time to answer......it is very reassuring to have people who have been successful at the hard part support those of us who are in the honeymoon phase!

Karen R.
on 9/3/14 9:33 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I'm about a year and a half out, so I'm not a long-term vet.  But I've been successful and stable with my weight loss for about nine months, so I figure that's got to count for something.

I weigh myself every morning, journal my food and weigh most everything.  I'm one of those people who drinks a bit with their meals and afterwards.  It hasn't affected me adversely so far, but I realize that's not the norm.  

Protein is first and foremost.  Whenever I'm trying to make a decision about what I want to eat, the first question I ask is how will it impact my protein count.  I'm 5'4" and my weight is typically somewhere between 120 and 125lbs.  I've been targeting 1,400 calories a day to maintain.  So far, so good (though admittedly, there are days I go over slightly).

I take my vitamins religiously--two multi vitamins, 1,500-2,000mg of calcium citrate and a b12 sublingual.  I find I don't drink many protein shakes these days, but I love Quest Cookie Dough protein bars.  They're great on a day when I'm running around and don't have time for a meal.

I think the biggest thing that has contributed to my success is exercise.  I do three personal training sessions a week where I typically burn between 300-400 calories.  I'm fitter than I've ever been.  I can deadlift 115 lbs, hold a plank for upwards of two minutes and do 30 full push-ups (if I can do them in three sets of ten!).  When I started all this, I'd get winded climbing a flight of stairs.  I supplement my training with two to three yoga classes a week.  I work out after work, so in addition to the obvious advantages, I find by the time I get home, I'm really not that hungry.  As I go to bed early, exercise helps keep me from snacking.  I was always one of those people who couldn'****ch TV without munching on something.

Finally, I allow myself some treats.  :-)  I always have dessert in the evening.  It's normally something around 150 calories.  I've also found skinny lattes to be a wonderful way to take in significant protein, give me something I truly enjoy, while also watching calories.  I typically have two a day--one in the morning and one as a mid-afternoon snack.

Good luck to you!

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

tonissa1
on 9/3/14 11:40 pm, edited 9/3/14 11:40 pm - Bowling Green, KY

I will be 4 years out this coming November.  It is still a daily struggle with small bites, chews, etc. I was just having a conversation with a friend and admitted to her that it has become EASIER to cheat as the time goes by.  I find that eating foods I'm not supposed to eat comes easier to me and doesn't affect my system like it did in the beginning.  I never journaled my food in the beginning and probably won't do it now. But I am going to do some research on how to get back on track with my routine in the beginning of my post-op days.  I will have my annual check-up coming up in 2 months and I DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT want to have a bad report!  I need to come to this site more often, as it helps to keep in contact with fellow patients and to read about others having issues.  Being able to keep each other accountable should help! 

White Dove
on 9/4/14 12:38 am - Warren, OH

I will be seven year next month.  I track my food and exercise.  I take my supplements and get my labs done.

The most important thing I do is to weigh every morning.  Never slack off on knowing your weight.  Don't put the scale away and then get shocked by regain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

dirks34
on 9/4/14 2:03 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Hello,

Its nice to hear everyone's stories... I often wonder how everyone is doing and what others are still contining to do.

Its been almost 2 years out for me. I don't log my foods. I do weigh myself couple times a week to make sure I'm on the right track.

I eat  certain foods most everyday to ensure my protein levels are reached. I try to make healthy food choices and don't drink my calories.

My lifestyle changes include being active for at least 60 minutes a day or more, being strict about not eating at least 30 minutes after I eat and

taking my vitamen supplements every day.

I have not lost anymore weight since losing 155 lbs but I have not gained any either.

I am getting my lab work done annually to make sure all my hard work is paying off.

I'm still learning but I know what works for me.

I am loving life and enjoying all the health benefits associated with this surgery.

Good luck in your journey.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

applegirljae
on 9/4/14 11:03 am

Thank you everyone for your answers.  I just got a chance to read them and they are so helpful. :) I want to be a long term success and know I do have the tools as long as I use them correctly.

poet_kelly
on 9/4/14 11:10 am - OH

I think it's important to note that some people do things very differently and yet are still successful.  For instance, some people weigh themselves daily and think that is an important tool for their success.  Others weigh less often and feel daily weighing would just cause them to obsess about the number on the scale and have a detrimental effect.  I've been pretty successful, I think, and I do not even own a scale.  I weigh myself when I have doctors' appointments, which is usually every couple months for something or other.  So weighing yourself daily or weekly or whatever is neither right or wrong, it's just about finding what works best for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views