Taste, Smell and Appetite Changes After RNY

Cunning_Pam
on 4/24/14 1:43 am
RNY on 12/18/13

This study was linked over on the VSG forum, and I thought people here would find it interesting. This is just the abstract, but what it says is that changes to what tastes or smells good are common after RNY surgery, and moreover are good predictors of weight loss success.

Taste, Smell and Appetite Change After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery.

L GrahamG MurtyD J Bowrey

Obesity Surgery (Impact Factor: 3.1). 03/2014; DOI:10.1007/s11695-014-1221-2 Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT It is apparent from day-to-day practice that patients frequently report changes to their appetite, taste and smell after weight loss surgery. There has been surprisingly little written in the literature on this. The aim of the current study was to assess these parameters in a cohort of patients undergoing Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery.
Questionnaires relating to appetite, taste and smell were administered to 188 patients who had undergone Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery at our institution during the years 2000-2011.
Responses were received from 103 patients (55 %). Sensory changes in appetite, taste and smell were noted by 97, 73 and 42 % of patients, respectively. Seventy-three percent of patients reported aversion to specific foods after surgery, with meat products the most commonly cited (33 %). Patients who experienced food aversions experienced more postoperative weight loss and reduction in BMI, compared to their counterparts without these features.
This study indicates that subjective changes in appetite, taste and smell are very common after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Patients are now routinely counselled about these changes as part of the informed consent process for surgery.

Link to abstract here.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

jefferytmc
on 4/24/14 1:56 am

I read something similar (could have been the same study) the other day.

I guess I should be glad of this as I have definitely seen a difference in taste.  Things seem so much sweeter to me.  

So hopefully I will be one of the ones that lose more.  ;)

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

QoftheU
on 4/24/14 2:44 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Well crap... I have found NOTHING that I have an aversion to.  Not ONE THING.  I sure hope that doesn't bode poorly for my success.  LOL  (I'm not worried btw - just messin')

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Cunning_Pam
on 4/24/14 7:57 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm pretty much with you, actually. Aside from not wanting to eat in general, the only thing I can't stand now that I loved before surgery is mushrooms. Something about the texture makes them very unpalatable now. Everything else seems ok, though. I know what you're saying, though!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

dragonlove
on 4/24/14 8:45 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I have that problem with hamburger now.  Before I really loved it, but now the texture throws me or something. I can eat it, but it is far, far down on my list of preferred meats.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Kimberly K.
on 4/24/14 3:45 am
RNY on 03/21/14

I am not surprised at all. I definitely am less fond of sweet tastes but then again I was never much of a sweet eater preop. Carbs, yes, One thing I have noticed is everyone smells like garlic. It started in the hospital. The nurse smelled like garlic, my husband smelled like garlic. My daughter got a kick out of it because I kept whispering "everyone smells like garlic" when I was under the influence of pain medication. I used to love garlic preop but I don't think it will be one of my favorites now. Haven't really tried it yet though.

Kim K.    

Cunning_Pam
on 4/24/14 7:58 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Oh wow, this is EXACTLY my experience! Garlic...it's on everyone's breath! Sometimes it's hard for me to kiss the husbeast, depending on what he's had for lunch he positively reeks of it, LOL! I guess it's a good thing that I love garlic.

Kimberly K.
on 4/24/14 10:13 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Yep! I am sure I used to reek of it too because I always cooked with it. I keep telling my husbeast (lol, had to say that just once) he smells like garlic too.

Kim K.    

MrsLitch
on 4/24/14 2:40 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

that's funny because as I was having issues with certain meats I made them with garlic and grouchy pouch loved them. I probably put garlic on every meat known to mankind the first 6 mo.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Christine24
on 4/24/14 12:43 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

I went to Costco a couple of weeks ago and when I went into the bakery area the smell of the sweets made me nauseous. I had never been turned off by sweets before, it was kinda nice. :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 367 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 463 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views