2 years post op RNY, had baby...gaining weight (cross posted)

cajungirl
on 11/19/13 11:07 pm

There really is no reason to go back on a pre-op diet.  You have a mature pouch that can/should be able to eat a reasonable amount of protein and feel satiated.  You also need to keep your energy up to take care of your baby. 

Back to basics would be high protein, low carb (no carb if you want to decarb for 3-4 days).  Drink at least 64 oz of water a day (shoot for 80 if you can), get yourself moving.  Any movement is better than no movement.

Are you drinking with your meals?  Are you waiting at least 30 minutes after before you consume water? 

These things will get you back to losing.  It won't be as quick as it was before but it will happen.  Calories in less than calories burned is what you want to accomplishment.

Congrats on the baby.  Keep posting, we are here to support you.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

jenysez1
on 11/20/13 8:25 am - LA

i got bad with the drinking with meals.  for the pass week I have been doing the 30 minute rule again. I dont drink with meals but wasnt waiting 30 minutes.  Hopefully doing this will help.  I was worried that might have stretched my stomach and that is why I was always hungry.

MrsLitch
on 11/19/13 10:44 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

decarb yourself like you did when you just had surgery. cut out all carbs for 2 weeks and then slowly add in the healthy ones like veggies. It won't be pleasant for a couple of days but the cravings tend to lessen if you cut them for a couple of weeks. I'm on day 4 of no carbs and I don't crave them today at all, I will stick with it for 2 weeks before adding a few back. It's a slippery slope for me as I'm sure it is for many people.
They are also easy to snack on which doesn't help. get some yogurt or something protein heavy to snack on for now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

jenysez1
on 11/20/13 8:19 am - LA

lord I wasnt even thinking of the veggies.   I have been doing meat, diary (really I can only do cheese since the surgery milk and yogurt hurt my stomach) Protein shakes, nuts/seeds, and veggies.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/19/13 9:53 pm - OH

I would also encourage you not to go back to liquids only.  From a psychological standpoint, that just reinforces the old diet-deprivation-reaction-regain cycle that KEPT us obese for so long.  If you resort to dieting again, you are undermining the work you have already done to change your food mindset.

Instead, go back to very "clean" eating.. Back to basics: a high protein, limited fat, limited carb (NO refined carbs, just carbs from dairy, veggies, some fruit and whole grains or legumes) plan, with lots of water (just never with, or right after, meals). Doing that will reinforce the healthy new eating habits that will help keep your weight under control long term.m as someone else (Kim, I think) pointed out  many vets have successfully done this to get some regain off. People whose fall back position is liquids only (like the 5 Day Pouch Test) often end up having to go back to it over and over again.  

Right now, the most important part is trying to break free from the refined carbs. Get the stuff out of the house so it is not the to tempt you, and have protein based non-carb snacks available instead (e.g., cheese or nuts).

You can do it!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jenysez1
on 11/20/13 8:29 am - LA

That is what the dietician said was the most important, to stop the bad carbs.  I bought lots of high protein snacks.  I think I got off some when my husband was unemployed.....crap food (pardon my language ) was cheaper it is ashamed how much it cost to make healthier choices.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/20/13 11:38 am - OH

Yes, it is unfortunate that making healthy choices is often significantly more expensive than eating processed carb-laden crap.  I think you will find that a few days of substituting protein heavy items or other good snack choices instead of carbs will make you physically feel better.

Be sure to mentally congratulate yourself each time you make the choice to eat a healthy item rather than processed carbs.  That will make you feel better emotionally as well!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

illinois Gama D.
on 11/19/13 10:59 pm

You have been given some great advise here, Please do not go back to the liquid diet, a) you will lose a few pounds, and deprive yourself and be miserable  B) you will gain the pounds back you lost by fluids only,  there really is no reason to but your body and mind through all of that, Go back to basics, lots of protein,  water, vitamins, YOU CAN DO THIS , and congras on a beautifly baby:)  track your intake on  a site to , that seems to help a lot of people, I think it is fitbit or sparks, I am sure someone will chime in and give you the  site:)  even if yo can walk around the house, up and down the stairs, a little of something goes a long way! thinking of you, Denise

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 244 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 310 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views