Should I look into a Revision?

jolie34
on 8/25/22 7:50 am

Hello!

• Just curious if you made a decision. I had the sleeve in 2008 and did pretty well for years, but Covid threw a wrench into so many lives, that I felt like dieting was pointless. So, I put on 40-50 pounds and am looking at a revision. The weight loss surgeon only offers the SIPS procedure. Not a whole lot of info on it out there.
  • Thanks!
  • Joanne
alhawkes
on 8/30/22 3:48 pm

Hello,

I have not made a decision yet, I was just able to get a referral back to my original Doctor that did my RNY surgery 19 years ago. I have to attend a revision seminar first. I am hoping they do either the TORe or the ROSE revision. I have researched both and they both seem to be less evasive and I can potentially lose up the weight that gained over the years. I am still going to go to a Nutritionist and get a hormone panel done, and continue to try and lose the weight on my own, but I am still going to check out the procedures and also get my pouch checked for any scare tissue etc. Good luck and let me know what you decide or find out.

jolie34
on 8/31/22 4:01 am

Howdy!

After speaking to the surgeon yesterday, I have decided against revision. He said my only options were gastric bypass or SIPS. He said it would be considered a high risk surgery. I felt it was too invasive (I had a twisted bowel in 2012, not sure if related to the sleeve, but it was the worse pain ever!) And I am going to just stick to WW, which I have had success at. I may look into weight loss medication, but, I will discuss with my primary care physician first. I feel like the surgeon tried to brush off concerns. I think there is so much money in WLS, they has become like salesmen. But, that probably isn't uncommon for any business.

I wish you well!!

Joanne

kemartin1
on 6/24/23 1:13 pm - Tyrone, GA
Revision on 06/17/23

So what happened? Did you get the revision?

alhawkes
on 6/26/23 12:14 pm

I went back to my Bariatric Doctor and apparently I have the Gold Standard. Not much you can revise. So I joined a program that has coaching, blood work, a diet plan and they work with your insurance to cover GPL-1 medications. I have been on the program for 5 months and I have lost 15lbs. It's slow, but it should be, so that eventually it is sustainable.

catwoman7
on 6/26/23 8:15 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

they CAN revise RNY to a DS, but it's a very complicated surgery that only a handful of surgeons are capable of doing. They have to completely reverse your RNY, then do a sleeved stomach, and then bypass most of your small intestine. Probably better to do what you're doing now, esp since you I think you said you only have 60 lbs to lose. And yes - the closer you are to a normal BMI, the slower it goes. It came off so much faster when I weighed over 300 lbs!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

kemartin1
on 6/27/23 12:42 am - Tyrone, GA
Revision on 06/17/23

That is great glad to see that you are making progress

Most Active
Recent Topics