So depressed

MyBariatricLife
on 4/30/18 8:10 pm

I have been told that there is a lot of competition for the gastric sleeve done by US surgeons competing with Mexico prices. The person who told me this works for a medical tourism company. He said that surgery has almost become a commodity because it is a rather easy surgery to do. If I recall correctly, he said $11k in the US. I wonder if you call Care Credit if you can ask them for a list of participating bariatric surgeons who accept their payment plan (if that's the way that you wanted to go). I think you also can look on RealSelf for surgeon's costs, although they are much more focused on plastic surgery than bariatric surgery. Otherwise, ask around on this forum and maybe try using the search feature. Or Google search may provide some figures.

I found this on BariatricSurgerySource: The total cost of gastric sleeve surgery without insurance averages just over $19,000, although you may be able to find local gastric sleeve surgery prices as low as $10,000 depending on your region. They got an interactive map that shows which states offer the lowest costs.

I hope this helps.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Kathy S.
on 5/1/18 8:03 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Mary,

We are so sorry for all you are going through. We help members find surgeons that take your insurance but sounds like you are having to do the insurance dance. Keep fighting, don't give up. In helping members we have found some of the best pricing is in NV. Here are some pricing:

Here are a couple of quotes from the surgeons offices in Vegas and Reno.

James D. Atkinson
Surgical Weight Control Center of Nevada
Las Vegas
Phone: 702-313-THIN (8446)

Darren W. Soong
Surgical Weight Control Center of Nevada
Las Vegas (also in...)
Phone: 702-313-8446

Surgical Weight Control Center of Nevada cash pay pricing

Cash pay for the VSG is $15,800
Note - The patient would be sent a list of requirements to be done prior to making the consultation:
Psych eval can be done locally
Chest xray/labs ekg providing/approving medical clearance
Includes: consult with surgeon, surgeon, surgeons assistants, anesthesia/anesthesiologist, hospital stay of one night and will cover any "complications"/insurance costs for complications post op care for one year PCP. They would make the follow up appointment after surgery 2-3 days from surgery date and have no problem transferring care to patients PCP in their home location.
Any questions, please can and speak with Michele Berry.

Sasse Surgical Center

(775) 829-7999

VSG cash pay pricing for Sasse Surgical Center

$16,900 all inclusive -

Includes: facility, surgeon, and surgeons assistants, up to 2 night hospital stay, anesthesia/anesthesiologist.
All inclusive means the patient would schedule an in office meeting on a Thursday.
Patient would go through Psych, Nutrition and Pre-op Lab work, ekg/lab with hospital.

Typically, they have to see patients within one week post op 8-10 days first appt, then 30 days as needed 3-6 months, but since if patient is coming from far away, and do not have family/friends in the area (They wouldn't want the patient to be in a hotel for that long), they would schedule an appt 2-3 days after surgery and they have no problem Transferring care to the patients PCP in their home town.

For any questions call and request to speak with Serai (sounds like Sir-eye)

If you change your mind about MX let us know. You also no matter who you use to be very experienced in revisions after the band has been removed.

Stay in touch and good luck!

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Mary F.
on 5/15/18 8:09 pm, edited 5/15/18 1:09 pm - East Windsor, NJ

Thank you, this is always an option for me.

I am doing the insurance dance as you say and we'll see what happens. When I get the final door slammed in my face (Hopefully it won't come to that) I will be looking at this as my next step.

I found a surgeon here that would do the surgery if the insurance covers it, but seems like many won't consider self-pay in NJ....

Mary

Mary F.
on 5/15/18 8:21 pm - East Windsor, NJ

I am also reconsidering Mexico as an option. Just wouldn't even know where to begin my research for it.

I've had 2 surgeons here in NJ say I am a good candidate. Insurance always has the final say grrrrrrrr

MarinaGirl
on 5/16/18 6:23 am

Contact Mexicali Bariatric Center to find out about the surgeries they do and pricing. I went to someone in Tijuana; however, I've heard a lot of great things about MBC and wish I had gone there for my bypass. Note that Dr. Esquerra at MBC is one of the best DS surgeons but they do other procedures too.

Kathy S.
on 5/17/18 9:22 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Mary,

I will PM you some surgeons in MX and pricing...

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Julie83854
on 7/16/18 10:27 am

I had my original lapband in Mexico. I did ok. Only thing is that doing surgery down there you don't really have the support in place. I returned for a couple of visits for fills etc. I am scheduled for bypass Aug 1st. I think my insurance will not cover part of it but will see. They will also fix my hernia.

If self pay is the only way to then so be it if you can gather the $.

Julie

Most Active
Recent Topics