WLS JOURNEY

Lessofmein2016
on 1/11/16 6:12 pm
Revision on 02/15/16

Dear R. Blain,  

I'm new here just tonight.    I was looking for a Revision forum, and here I am.  I was reading your post above about going from a BAND to a sleeve.   This works out for some people,  but I felt compelled to let you know it did not work for me.  I had the BAND done in 2007 and lost 60 to 65 lbs, and kept it off.  I might have gone up and down 7 or 8lbs but for the most part I felt the BAND kept me in check.    But I wanted to LOSE SO MUCH MORE!!  I had seen several people lose 80 to 100lbs with the sleeve, and was sorry that I did not have that from the start, but I do not remember it being offered.  So I returned to my surgeon, and we went through a few visits and got an ok from Ins.   We did two surgery's taking the band out, than waiting two months until GOOD TISSUE was formed, so he could staple it.  Two months later I had the SLEEVE DONE.  well the first week fine.  eat very little, jello, broth..   had a liquid diet before surgery for 7 days, to help shrink the liver. Which helps with surgery.   I get to my first check up and I lost 6lbs???   I looked at the doctor, he said, don't worry you are swollen and still healing.  I go two weeks later and I lost 3lbs.   The whole time i'm thinking, i'm eating soft food, from 4oz cups, pushing water, getting it in, puree soup..yogurt... and this is all i'm getting.  than I saw the nutritionist and went over a plan.   Came back 4 weeks later,  3lbs lost.   Now on reg food.. and very limited.  out walking the dogs twice a day..  But also not feeling much restriction.   I'm thinking I had MORE RESTRICTION with the BAND.   WENT back to the Nutritionist in 4 weeks, 2lbs lost. I was so depressed.   So I just followed what they told me, and watched amounts.. but I stopped watching the scale.  I was caring for my husband who was very ill,  so I forgot about me.    oh, I had the Sleeve done in 2011,   I began to notice indigestion.   Which I never had with the band.   More time had gone by.    Now my Husband has gone to a nursing home, so I started to wonder about me again.   I have to say,  the total weight loss for the Sleeve with me was 20lbs ..Which I could have done with Weigh****chers.     I recently saw my Surgeon, and on Feb 15th, i'm going to have GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY.   I feel I should of had it from the START!    I wish you the best of luck with your surgery.   

Lessofmein2016

Kenneishak
on 1/14/16 6:56 am - Forestville, MD

Smart Move!! Being as thought the lapband didn't work for me. I am now going for the "Gold Standard" of RNY (Bypass) also. Good luck in your journey. I am on the 14 day liquid diet as well.

Lessofmein2016
on 1/15/16 8:34 am
Revision on 02/15/16

My Date is Feb 15th ,  so not on the pure Liquids yet......Good Luck to you as well.   "if I may ask,  what does RNY  stand for?

Kenneishak
on 1/15/16 8:41 am - Forestville, MD

RNY stands for Roux-en-Y which is a type of Gastric Bypass.

Lessofmein2016
on 1/15/16 9:50 am
Revision on 02/15/16

I thought it was just "gastric bypass surgery"   how many kinds are there??

LESSOFMEIN2016

Kenneishak
on 1/14/16 6:52 am - Forestville, MD

Awesome news!! I am scheduled for the RNY on January 21st from Lapband removal in APril of 2015. Lucky you to not have to the nutrition program again. I did. Well good luck.

sheriberi29
on 1/13/16 1:55 pm - Cleveland, TN

Well , be sure to keep me updated ! I am happy that you were finally able to get your insurance changed so you can be seen and have options for your healthcare. I absolutely HATE. The way that most of us are stuck and just dangling out there waiting for an insurance miracle to allow us to get the help we need and I also hate that we have to jump through so many hoops for them to play nicely and pay . 

Most Active