Why ...

peacebypiece
on 10/6/15 4:29 pm

do revisions lose slower than original surgeries? Is they always true or does it depend on original surgery/when it was, etc?

also, even if the loss is slower..are people still losing the same amount of weight just slower?

thanks for any help you can offer!!

Hislady
on 10/6/15 10:10 pm - Vancouver, WA

I don't think anyone actually knows the reason why revisions lose slower, it just seems to be the way it goes. Some lose much slower and others not as slow but still slower than a virgin surgery. One of those "it is what it is" kind of things. Doesn't seem to matter what the variables are, it just is. People seem to lose and many get to their goals, it just takes a little longer. With the sleeve you always have your same tool, sure it stretches some the first 6 mos or so but after that it shouldn't stretch a lot more unless you constantly overfill it. If you eat your correct amount of food you are supposed to, you shouldn't stretch it out too much. What allows you to really over eat is going back to a carb heavy diet. If you stick to your protein first, veggies next and an occasional starchy addition you should do fine but if you slip back into say having a baked potato every day you can blow it in no time. So just skip those nasty carbs and you should do fine reaching your goal in a somewhat longer time. Good luck to you!

kaniky
on 10/8/15 12:13 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I had the lap band procedure in 2008 and dropped 115 in about a year. It seemed to just fall off me, but then again I was sick a lot. I couldn't keep some foods down. My band slipped, the weight crept back on and I gained almost all of it back.

On May 18th I had a revision to the RNY. I have lost 54 pounds in those 4 1/2 months. The loss is slower than the first time around, but it is coming off. I have hit a couple of stalls and simply stuck to the plan and the weight started coming off again. I've still got a long way until I reach goal, but I'm happy to say that I truly believe I can get there.

Good luck!

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

Queen JB
on 10/9/15 12:10 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

My loss is much much much slower with the bypass than it was with the band, which is just nuts to me!! Everyone said it would happen, but I really thought "not me!". But, yes, "me".

I think I have a lot working against me for quick weight loss. First, of course, I am a revision. Also, I have PCOS. And I didn't regain too much when my band failed, so I am a lightweight, too (had revision surgery at 33 BMI). All that combined make this really tough. But I keep telling myself that slow and steady is just going to have to win this race. Refusing to get discouraged.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

MsBatt
on 10/9/15 5:18 pm

Our bodies are very adaptable, and they're programmed for survival. When we lose a lot of weight rapidly, our bodies scream "OMG! There's a famine going on! Gotta work even harder to store energy so I don't die of starvation!"

Every time we diet successfully (even though it's a temporary success), our bodies get better and better at functioning on fewer and fewer calories, in order to 'save' for the future. This is pretty much why if your original surgery relied primarily on restriction, you tend to lose slower after a revision than do people who've not had a previous surgery. This doesn't mean you won't lose the same amount of weight in the long run, just that it will take you longer and you may have to work harder at it.

Most Active
Recent Topics