When to give regular milk??

Amy-from-CA
on 5/15/09 8:46 am - Valencia, CA
On May 15, 2009 at 2:52 PM Pacific Time, Lexa321 wrote:
is it smooth? or chunky like cottage cheese?... where would i get it? whole foods or a regular food store?...amd to your other post... its very interesting to read what your views on nutrition... i wish you would go on and on LOL
Kefir is somewhat thick, but my kids drink it straight from their sippy cups without issue. They LOVE it and it's not really sweet. I tolerate it because it's got such good properties in it and is SO good for your digestive tract, but I don't really care for the taste -  I'm one of the freaks who hates Pinkberry frozen yogurt. I buy kefir at Whole Foods, but have found it at Trader Joes and other markets like that. Regular supermarkets don't seem to carry it, or so my sister says - I don't shop in them. 

I've put so much thought and time into ensuring that our nutrition is good. I always try to get the freshest ingredients, some coming from farms where it was picked hours before, and shop about every 3 days for extras. It's not the most economical way to shop, but it works for me and keeps our wastes to a very minimum. We belong to a co-op of sorts called a food box where we get fruit, produce, meat and eggs fresh every week that is picked within 3 hours and from local farms that are less than 200 miles away. I pick the box up every Saturday morning and it has a different variety of fresh fruits and veggies and what ever meat, nuts, eggs or cheese that I add on to my box. You should look into organic food boxes in your local area. It helps to support the local farmers and ensures you the freshest foods. 

Growing up, this is the way our family ate and somewhere along the lines I lost that. We hardly ever eat out, eat things from our garden and there were no hormones in the foods back then. I'm sickened when people feed children from a crappy fast food rather than to put the extra effort into looking at alternatives. It may take longer, and cost a few cents more per meal, but it's our children's health that we're talking about. I'm sorry to say that, but this is something that I'm so very passionate about!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lexa321
on 5/15/09 10:17 am - weston, FL
im going to have to make a trip to whole foods... jayson is 7 months old and has no teeth... not to picky of an eater... but somethings he just cant be bothered with
Bookworm5648
on 5/15/09 2:57 am - Manassas Park, VA
You seem very well informed about milk in children's diets.  I have never even heard of almond milk.  I think it's great that you are taking such a great role in what goes into your children's bodies. 

At Dylan's 2 year check-up I questioned his Ped about taking him from whole milk to skim because 1) We drink skim and 2) I don't feel he needs all that extra fat (even though he is so skinny and tall).  The Ped said he was impressed that I have concern about Dylan getting too much fat in his diet and said he wished more parents were like that, to help combat obesity.  He said to put Dylan on 2% that he does need SOME fat.  But he said to stick to lowfat cheeses, yogurts, cottage cheese, etc.  We are very lucky in the calcium dept with Dylan, he will eat cheese, yogurt and cottage cheese until the cows come home.  LOL  But we have to really encourage him to drink milk, he does prefer water.  He also get very, very limited amounts of juice, just once in a blue moon.

I agree with what you said that most children don't eat a balanced diet.  Dylan is a prime example of that.  He loves chicken nuggets, mac and cheese and crackers.  He will eat fruit and veggies for the most part, but he hardly ever will eat meat that I make for dinner.  I asked his Ped at his 2 year check-up about children's mulitvitamins and he said if he is getting a balanced diet, then there isn't any need.  My hubby and I fought over this, he doesn't think Dylan needs the vits. and I do.  My hubby and I both take multivits, why can't our child?  So, I got Dylan a bottle of My first Flintstones vitamins.  They are about 1/2 the size of the other Flintstones and he always asks for his 'pill' at dinnertime.  I honestly don't think it's hurting him to get  extra vitamins.

I didn't get a chance to post in the post you made the other day with pics of your kids, but they are adorable.  :o)  They look like they are very happy kids.

*Stacy*

preview image        preview image

Amy-from-CA
on 5/15/09 3:37 am, edited 5/15/09 8:27 am - Valencia, CA
I made horrible choices for my diet, and sometimes still do, but didn't want to make that same mistake with my children. So when we knew that we were expecting, I went out and sought as much information as I could to make the best educated choice for my family. When the kids first started eating solids, I made sure that they had as close to whole foods as possible. I started this at about 6 months, changing consistency about every 6-8 weeks, until they ate what we did my 12 months. Now we all eat the same things for dinner, for the most part, we don't have picky eaters. I've read and have heard that this can change, and I've witnessed from time to time, changes in what they will eat on any given day. 

We try to eat seasonally and it seems to make me more accountable and cognizant of what I put into my body. My husband's not as adventurous as I am in the fruits and veggies department, but I can't make him just as he couldn't make me exercise like I should. Slowly, everything is falling to place on both fronts. I just figure that I cannot hurt any of us by eating fresh, whole, organic fruits, veggies, meats and grains, nor will my children know the difference as this will be the way they've always eaten. 

As far as milk goes, neither of us drink it and haven't for years. I used to drink and cook with soy mil****il I started to do some more in-depth research and switched us to almond milk. Sure things tasted different at first, but now we're used to it. As for vitamins - I do give my children liquid multi-vitamin, liquid vitamin C, powdered probiotics and high-quality fish oil on a daily basis. This is all they've ever known, so I'm fortunate that they like it. They just had their 15 mo-old check up and out pediatrician was very impressed with their progress, diet and how they'd come from 5 pound preemies to such large, healthy toddlers today. It helps that he supports my natural approach to things, most of his clients follow the same, and doesn't push me on the vaccinations that I've chosen to delay for personal reasons. He's very supportive and wonderful with our children and the love going to see him. 

I could go on and on all day about this subject because I'm so passionate about it. But I'll step off of the soapbox now.

p.s. Thanks for the compliments on the kiddos. We think they're keepers!

Liz R.
on 5/14/09 10:42 pm - Easton, PA
OMG! I share a b-day with those cuties!!!
Amy-from-CA
on 5/15/09 3:39 am - Valencia, CA
On May 15, 2009 at 5:42 AM Pacific Time, Liz R. wrote:
OMG! I share a b-day with those cuties!!!
 Thanks so much. We think they're very cute too!

WendieS
on 5/15/09 12:28 am - Birmingham, AL
We went to Dr yesterday and asked the same thing regarding the enfamil next step. He said it offeres all of the supplements that regular enfamil has but is a little closer to cows milk than the other. He said it isnt necessary t use it, regular or next step is ok. We cant wait to get Quado potato off of formula bcause it constipates him but Dr said dont introduce until he is 1. we are going to start using next step as soon as what we have is gone.

Quade born July 6!!!! 
easter09040-1.jpg picture by wendiesmi

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1276 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 876 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1346 views