A gaping hole in our treatment/care?

Ipatton
on 11/25/15 8:24 am - Canada

So it looks like some of you might be misunderstanding me.  I pointed out there is a gap in our care that I believe I can do some good in filling, or I would at least like to explore the idea, i never suggested, or meant to imply that OHIP cover it, I am well aware of our Health care system and especially the Bariatric care and strain for dollars.  

I do believe that in many cases, seeking out a personal trainer can be problematic, very few are qualified to actually work with morbidly obese individuals.  I thought this was an area of need because I have spoken one on one with many bariatric patients both pre and post-op who have felt overwhelmed and uneasy about the activity side of things and some talked about how personal trainers made it worse by simply running them through boot camp like workouts before they were ready. I think I can provide something more comprehensive, evidence based and beneficial to our outcomes. I was looking for input and experiences some of you have had regarding exercise, not necessarily arguing over whether or not the government would pay for it.  In a perfect world there should absolutely be some level of kinesthetic coaching at least to begin, but again reality is not that kind.   

Sorry for the mis-understanding

Karen M.
on 11/25/15 3:32 pm - Mississauga, Canada

So you're looking for a job then it seems.

I would venture to guess that I could make millions, if there were millions to be made considering my own education and experience.

I do it for free.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Ipatton
on 11/25/15 4:05 pm - Canada

Thanks for the constructive feedback Karen.  No, not looking for a job, I have Jobs, i was looking for feedback and experiences of a larger population to see if the issues I have talked to people in person are as prevalent as they seem.  If there was a need, maybe I make a shift in career and make a living to support my family while doing something I care about, if not then its a harmless discussion about how pre and post ops deal with the activity side of things.  I'm not selling anything, i am simply asking people for their experience.  

I get that on internet forums you can get a lot of crap, and idiots trying to scam people, but in all honesty I just wanted a discussion from first hand experience to see what others have dealt with, maybe i should have left out my background etc

Thanks again

Ipatton
on 11/25/15 4:05 pm - Canada

Thanks for the constructive feedback Karen.  No, not looking for a job, I have Jobs, i was looking for feedback and experiences of a larger population to see if the issues I have talked to people in person are as prevalent as they seem.  If there was a need, maybe I make a shift in career and make a living to support my family while doing something I care about, if not then its a harmless discussion about how pre and post ops deal with the activity side of things.  I'm not selling anything, i am simply asking people for their experience.  

I get that on internet forums you can get a lot of crap, and idiots trying to scam people, but in all honesty I just wanted a discussion from first hand experience to see what others have dealt with, maybe i should have left out my background etc

Thanks again

Karen M.
on 11/25/15 4:54 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I appreciate that you wanted a discussion. I think that I am jaded to the fact that today's patients get SO. MANY.SERVICES. compared to what I got 10 years ago.

In any event, I think that so many of us are not "exercise oriented". and quite frankly, we don't need to be.

YES try something new, YES join - but really? It actually comes down to psychological components.

How prepared are you for this? How much do you really understand the implications of what you're agreeing to re. your eating and commitment to continue?

A whole host of other psych/emotional issues that people seem resistant to accept.

I'm 10 years post-op. I've lived this for a very long time. I'm completely at goal and maintaining such. I would think that has value, beyond "are you exercising?". The true results come from people who have their eating in check.

You can't exercise off, or run off, a bad diet.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Ipatton
on 11/25/15 6:07 pm - Canada

I completely agree, I borrow a saying from a colleague of mine "you can't outrun your fork" and I was never suggesting that the activity be in replace of nutrition/psych etc. 

We do know however that being active is one of the most beneficial things for your health (not weight) and it is something many obese people wish they could do but are unsure/scared etc. 

trust me I am not in disagreement about all the stuff you brought up re psych/nutrition, I just think that physical activity has its place in the equation, and we also know from research that PA influences better psychological outcomes etc.. I just think that if people were better equipped re being active it could benefit their outcomes post-op.

I also appreciate the level of care you received in your time, it is a topic covered at conferences regularly, it is an evolving field, and hopefully with that evolution comes a higher percentage of people like you who have long term success.

Ipatton
on 11/25/15 6:07 pm - Canada

I completely agree, I borrow a saying from a colleague of mine "you can't outrun your fork" and I was never suggesting that the activity be in replace of nutrition/psych etc. 

We do know however that being active is one of the most beneficial things for your health (not weight) and it is something many obese people wish they could do but are unsure/scared etc. 

trust me I am not in disagreement about all the stuff you brought up re psych/nutrition, I just think that physical activity has its place in the equation, and we also know from research that PA influences better psychological outcomes etc.. I just think that if people were better equipped re being active it could benefit their outcomes post-op.

I also appreciate the level of care you received in your time, it is a topic covered at conferences regularly, it is an evolving field, and hopefully with that evolution comes a higher percentage of people like you who have long term success.

birdiegirl
on 11/24/15 2:37 pm

So you are looking for support for your new career. 

My thoughts:

1.  I believe most of the centers give some advice re exercise.

2.  If a wls post op ( or pre op for that matter) did nothing more then walk every day that would be a great way to get back in shape.  Walking is low cost and most can do this.  No one required a kinesiologist to help them walk.  There are many great dvd's etc to help those who are exercise challenged to move more

3.  We also have some responsibility to if we choose to proceed with exercise to spend our own money to either join gyms or hire personal trainers.  Our own personal responsibility is a pretty good place to start re exercise or the lack thereof.  I know many very successful wls post ops who are healthy and at goal many years later with little to no exercise.  Its not an absolute necessity for success - just a great way to feel good.

4.  Exercise is wonderful for your overall wellbeing.  However - I have seen too many de-railed by thinking they can exercise their way to weight loss.  The obesity battle is won in the kitchen.

5.  Our health care system is already stretched to the limit - go back to my point 3 re our responsibility to inform ourselves re exercise-movement-sports etc.  The last thing I want to see is health dollars going to people like you- no personal offence - when anyone can find out enough by reading info on the internet or going to the Y - the health club - a seniors center - or just plain old walking.  Almost free to walk - just have to buy the pair of shoes if you don't already own several pair of athletic shoes.  I want to see our limited health dollars spent on things regular people either cant do - cant figure out themselves - and who are in need of care.  Money spent on exercise advice is money removed from somewhere - so maybe less surgeries either wls or other surgeries.

TES
on 11/25/15 9:07 am - Ottawa, Canada

OMG, I so totally agree!  I am almost 17 months post op and all I do is walk.  I can't afford a personal trainer and I have NO IDEA 'how to exercise'.  People look at me weirdly when I say that, but it's true.  Prior to surgery I never exercised in my life.  I've tried to follow along with YouTube videos and such, but without someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong, etc., I just give up because I never feel like I'm doing things correctly.

My body is slowly learning to move, but I know there is so much more I could/should be doing, I just don't know how/what.  If there were even a 1-day class for post-ops to help with learning how to move/exercise, I would so be there ...

TES

Delicious_Delilah
on 11/25/15 10:00 am - Ottawa, Canada

My own experience with exercise has been very positive.  I did find a personal trainer who worked with me and my initial limitations.  He specialized in working with people who have experienced injuries.  He knew not to throw me into the deep end.  The first few months together were really focused on learning how to move and strengthening some of the larger muscle groups. As I was losing weight, gaining strength and balance, we were able to go further and further into fitness.  Now, I face no limitations. 

Of course, this was a personal choice.  And I had the luxury of being able to afford it.  Even if I didn't have the means to work with a personal trainer regularly, I would have invested in a few sessions just to get started.  But key is really finding a trainer that can work with you.  Interview them like you would anyone for a job!  Ask them about their experience working with people with physical limitations due to injury, disability, or other. Aside from that, there's plenty that can be done without a trainer:  swimming, zumba, yoga, etc.  And of course, you start small and work your way up.  You start with basic yoga...not advanced. 

Not everyone needs a personal trainer, as everyone's personal fitness goal is different.  For me, I wanted to be fit and take on the gym full force.  And now I do weightlifting/weight training, kickboxing, swimming, running, yoga, you name it, and I'll try it!  Tennis and kayaking are on next summer's list of things to do.

I think everyone's journey on this front is a bit different.  Guest speakers at group sessions, etc., is certainly one way that you can introduce the topic of physical fitness and how to go about finding your path to fitness for your particular goals.  Beyond that though, I feel we all have a responsibility to "just do it" (sorry Nike!).

My nickel's worth!

DD

Most Active
Recent Topics