The Last Straw

Robyn R.
on 6/5/15 6:55 pm - Bowmanville, Canada

The gum issue is more a cause of actually swallowing the gum. It can cause some really big problems for your pouch & stoma. In regards to the straw. I've just started using one & it's only on the rare occasion when we go out to eat for my water at the restaurant. I don't seem to have any issues but that's my story. We are all different

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Zizzler
on 6/7/15 10:41 am

I was told no straws, no sf carbonated beverages, no gum, no caffeine, so I cut those out long before surgery, as my centre required.  I asked about this at my 9 months post-op follow-up appointment with my centre and was told that at this point I can try all of these from time to time and as long as they do not cause discomfort it is ok.  I was very surprised but I guess at a certain point further out it may be possible.  I was told I could have the odd caffeinated drink as long as I stick to decaf most of the time. I was told that swallowing gum does not cause a medical emergency, it just creates air in your pouch which can make eating harder when you need all the room for food post-op.  Now, I am 9 months out with zero complications (knock on wood), and this may depend on your centre, of course always follow their rules.  Just wanted to let you know that it is possible further out for their recommendations to become more flexible, at least it did for me.

MeltingMindyLoo
on 6/8/15 7:10 am - Sudbury, ON, Canada
RNY on 07/21/15

Thank you everyone for your replies! There is a lot of good info here.  I don't think I'll miss gum that much, unless the surgery attacks my breath!  I'm just relieved to know the instagrammers I follow aren't' hurting themselves for the sake of a Starbucks selfie!

37yo, 5'8". HW: 396lbs, CW: 276.6

Most Active
Recent Topics