Am I A Success?

Debbie R.
on 5/14/11 12:52 pm - Las Cruces, NM
I live in New Mexico. There are no bariatric surgeons in this state. Luckily I am only 50 miles from El Paso Texas and there are several there besides my current surgeon. I think I will find another surgeon for my follow ups whether I get a revision or not. I don't think he likes me and the feeling is mutual.
barbara314
on 5/14/11 9:59 pm
All the replies are right on target.  Find another doctor.
BTW - my new favorite phrase is "Jack-wad."  LOVE IT!!! 
~ Barbara

Debbie R.
on 5/15/11 2:15 am - Las Cruces, NM
I like your new phrase lol      I call my prior surgeon Dr. Dick Head
psychomom
on 5/15/11 1:30 am - China Grove, NC
I definitely think you are a success !!!! you have lost a majority of your weight and are doing well :)
I think success is all in the way you look at it.I feel like a success after only losing half my wt so far. To me I am half way there and that is amazing! Don't let the Dr steal you thunder you are doing great!:)

Debbie R.
on 5/15/11 2:17 am - Las Cruces, NM
Thanks, Most times I look at my self and see how far I've come but there is a little part that still wants more. I have been this same weight for 2 years. I guess this is it for me.
Ambelina
on 5/15/11 4:08 am - Salem, OR
I think you've done a great job.  If you do decide to go for more, I'd definitely seek the advice of a surgeon who doesn't have head-up-the-A$$ syndrome.  Doctors like that just **** me off.  You're awesome!  He had the skill to put the device in, but his skills definitely appear to end their. 

Take care of yourself,
Amy
Highest 298; Pre-op: 279; PreOp BMI 41.  CW: 188 & Current BMI: 30!!!!! Thank you Lord for Dr Nair!!!
1st Goal 248;  2nd Goal 230 met!!!! 7/2010;  3rd Goal 215 - met 9/18/10!!!; 4th Goal 200 - 12/20/2010...  Surgeons goal met - I'd like to lose a litte more.  

Stephanie M.
on 5/15/11 1:49 am
First off, if he discussed your case with your sister, he has violated patient privacy and should be made aware (at the very least) that you won't tolerate that from a medical professional.  I would confront him with what your sister told you and see how he reacts.

Second, even though you are technically "obese" you are a lot better off than you were at a 44 BMI.  My daughter, who will be 40 this year has lost about 50 lbs over the last 18 months and is 5'2" and has a bmi of about 32...she recently ran her first half-marathon.  Success isn't defined by BMI, but by how your life has changed for the better from losing the weight.  YOU define success for yourself, don't give anybody, including your doctor the power to define your success. 

Third, if you are not happy with this doctor, find a new one, asap who can discuss your options.  If you are not having complications with your band, why revise (put yourself through another major surgery with all the risks)?

Good luck!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Debbie R.
on 5/15/11 2:33 am - Las Cruces, NM

Thank You SO much with your response.

You are SO RIGHT about the doctor making any type of comments or discussions about my case to my sister. I will definitely say something.

I am proud of the weight I have lost but I am not where I want to be physically.  You know that moment that hits you, your last straw that tells you "I am going to have weight loss surgery" is not being able to do activities with my youngest son like I did with my older 2. Well, even though I am a little better, I still can't do as much as I would like and it makes me sad.

I am glad I created this post. It has got me thinking... Having a revision isn't what I need. It is support from a positive doctor and staff who will help me with praise and compliments and not criticize, lectures and yelling.

Stephanie M.
on 5/15/11 2:45 am
Good for you...now go find a new doctor, but by all means hold your current doctor accountable for his actions and demeanor...Steph

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Janine P.
on 5/15/11 2:07 am - Long Island, NY
The average amount of excess weight a lap band is supposed to take off is only 50-60%.  So by that standard, yes, you are a success.

However - if you want a revision to a sleeve to get out of the obese category, find a nicer surgeon who's willing to help you and go ahead. 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Most Active