How to Overcome Shame/Embarrassment at the Gym?

Yanzee77
on 1/6/17 8:59 am - Canada
VSG on 12/16/15

I remember how I felt going to the gym the first time PO. I was so self conscious but I kept at it. The 16th January 2017 will be one year that I've be going to my gym and I recently had a fellow gym member tell me that I inspired her to keep at it. I was so afraid of the negative things that ppl would be thinking that I did not realize there was a flip side, I also encouraged others like me. All that to say, maybe there will be others watching but not in the light that you see it. Own it and keep going!!!

Tanya

AGE:39/HEIGHT:5ft 8in /HW:290 /SW:266.2 / VSG DONE:16th/DEC/2015  -------CW:158lbs PO: M1-23.1lbs  M2-12.2lbs  M3-10.9lbs M4: -14.4lbs M5:-12.4lbs M6:-7.2lbs M7:-6.2lbs M8:-6.6lbsM9:-7.6lbs (Goal reached 9mths PO -16/09/2016) M10:-5.0 M11:+1.8lbs M12:-3.8lbs

Gwen M.
on 1/7/17 11:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

YES!  I have had so many people tell me how inspirational I am for them.  That outweighs all the other negative brain talk :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

highlandbear
on 1/7/17 9:46 am - Canada

I belong to the YWCA and I know a lot of women wear a shirt over there bathing suite until they feel comfortable to take it off or they take it off once they are in the water and put it on before they get out

LittleBigGirl2
on 1/16/17 2:38 pm

When I belonged to the Y one of the things I loved about it was that there were people of literally every age, shape, and size. It was a real revelation after belonging to a 24 hr Fitness that was more like a meat market than a gym. Believe me, as said above, everyone is to worried about themselves to notice you. Once you're in the water no one can really see you anyway. But I totally understand the feelings.

E. Todd ( LittleBigGirl2 )

Knitter215
on 1/18/17 10:35 am
VSG on 08/23/16

I've been a member at my Y for about a year now.  (I'm five months post-op). There are people of every shape and size in our pools - one of which is a zero depth entry for those who cannot go up and down the steps.  I've seen everything from people who look like walking x-rays to those who are very heavy.  You know what they have in common - they all joined the Y to get healthier - just like you.  When I go to the gym, I'm not looking at other people other than to see if they are working on a piece of equipment I want to use.  And they aren't looking at me.  Find a bathing suit you are comfortable in -- it maybe one piece, it may be two - like a dress with shorts -- spend the money to find something you feel comfortable in and then dip your toes in the water (pun intended.)  You got this!

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/20/17 8:38 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I'm sure almost every one of us has felt like this. You are NOT alone.  Here's some good news: a lot of times water aerobic classes especially during normal business hours are full of overweight and often older people.  So this works well for any of us who feel bad, first older people are so much less likely to say anything or even think anything, and next almost always there are not a bunch of hard bodies a****er aerobics even on the weekends.  So if you can find a time that works for you, go to water aerobics you'll probably have a blast and meet a few friends.

I saw this and it helped adjust my mindset about the gym. https://danceswithfat.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/making-fun -of-fat-people.png

Everyone at the gym is there to better themselves.  That means even the most buff dude there is still working on something, he's not done yet, and your in the same spot he is, you have work to do and you're not done yet.  You just need to set your mind to think that you are there to work on bettering yourself.  The treadmills are a great place to "hide" if you go to the gym in your workout clothes find the tread mills and pick one that faces the windows or the gym.  If you are looking out the windows jamming out to your fav tunes you'll quickly forget everyone -or- you pick one that face the gym and then people watch.  You'll see other people like you there for sure but you can also scope new machines and see what people are doing while on them.

Finally another great way to get the most out of the gym is to hire a personal trainer.  Yes they are expensive and you'll probably try to talk yourself out of the cost BUT halt right there.  If you do hire them for 4-6 sessions think of it this way: they are your new gym best friend.  They take you to all of the machines and adjust them to fit you, they set you up a routine, they talk to you about your goals and will help you get there.  All the time you are there, they are right there with you.  After being with them several sessions you'll feel right at home.  Trust me when you have a trainer the other trainers will take notices and will also say hello or nod at you.  When you no longer need them you'll have knowledge about the machines, how to use them, you'll have a routine, and you'll feel pretty good about going to the gym.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active