Kayla B do we absorb this?

beemerbeeper
on 2/13/13 10:52 am - AL

What do you take?  Anything?  Are the Coromega's in the suspension absorbed or is it the same thing...still fat...still not absorbed, not matter the "coating"? 

I do worry about not getting those fatty acids especially for my old brain.

THANKS,

Becky

Kayla B.
on 2/13/13 11:37 am, edited 2/14/13 7:08 am - Austin, TX

I'm not supplementing omega 3s right now.  I have in the past, but right now it's one of the "nice to haves" but not a must have.  I rank eating lots of fresh and yummy food higher than the omega 3s right now.  I've taken coromega and I've taken the barlean's swirl product.  Both are definitely yummy.

Those products use egg as an emulsifier.  Similarly, bile is an emulsifer.  That basically means that it breaks the big blob of fat into tinier little blobs of fat that are more easily digested by enzymes (lipases).  If there are tiny blobs it's easier for a lipase to attack the fat as opposed to one big blob.  Once the tiny blobs are broken down small enough, they can be absorbed.

And so, reminder with the DS, we separate bile and pancreatic enzymes from food until the common channel.  There's a tiny bit of lipase in the alimentary limb, but not much.  So typically we'd be waiting to emulsify + digest with lipase until the common channel, but in an emulsified product, there's going to be a greater chance of absorption earlier on.  Do we absorb the whole thing?  I think probably not, but I don't know for sure.

I doubt you have an essential fatty acid deficiency though.  Just try to remind yourself that omega 3s help with inflammation and just by losing weight you have decreased the amount of inflammation in your body...so it's not all bad :)  Trade-offs and such, you know...

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Herman
on 2/14/13 4:01 am

I need a like button here. You're tops in my book Kayla!!! 

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
J G.
on 2/14/13 2:50 pm

Becky, don't know if this will help you any, but I had saved a couple of old post on this subject.  One was from Jenna Lynn who said she had raised her HDL taking 2 Vectomega per day.  Another was from Bearmom saying that both Coromega and Vectomega were water miscible and that when she took them it was not with fatty food - and it should improve triglyceride levels....

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1054 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1217 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 506 views