did your diabetes resolve with the gastric bypass

funkyphillygirl
on 1/22/13 11:21 pm

Gary, how long have you been diabetic?  The # of years, as well as the type of surgery, seems to influence resolution.  Regardless of whether you get resolution of your diabetes, weight loss will DEFINITELY decrease your insulin needs.  In many type 2 diabetics, you will also become more insulin SENSITIVE - that is, your body will actually start to use insulin better and more efficiently. 

Most of the research says that DS is better for T2 diabetes, but you really need to factor in the length of time you've had it.  Are you considering weight loss surgery?  These are great questions for a surgical consult too. 

gary3917
on 1/23/13 8:40 am - Duson, LA
DS on 06/05/13

Yes.. I have been dibetic for 17 years and it just keeps getting worse. I want to do the surgery and want to know which surgery is better. ...I am 360 pounds . Thank you for your help

Gary

funkyphillygirl
on 1/25/13 5:45 am

Gary: Usually Type 2 diabetic that has been in existence for more than about 10 years is difficult to resolve with the surgery.  But, the bigger goal for me has been to BE HEALTHIER.  And the surgery can definitely do that for you - it will decrease your medication and insulin needs as well and give you less strain on heart, blood pressure and cholesterol.  BTW, I have been able to completely get off my BP and cholesterol meds after being on them for about 15 years.  And my insulin needs are about 30-40% of what they were previously.

I think a weight loss surgery consult will help to answer the questions you have.  A good surgeon will review your medical history and evaluate what surgery is best for you and what it can help you do.  I saw 3 surgeons while investigating weight loss surgery, and felt it was ESSENTIAL that each explain to me what my options were, what they would recommend, WHY and what I could expect from it.  I was always a little wary of a surgeon who asked me what surgery I wanted.  I know a lot that do that and I'm sure it's because people come in with a set agenda of what they think they want.  I had done my homework, but I am not a medical person and certainly NOT a surgeon, so I wanted to hear more about what they thought would work and why.  The surgeon I selected was excellent and going through each, without his own agenda, and explaining clearly and in detail what he thought might work best for me and why. That made a big difference in my decision and my comfort level.

Both RNY and duodenal switch will change the way your body processes calories and metabolizes what you consume.  They both have implications for diabetics.  The sleeve might as well, but I have to be honest and say that I don't know much about it at all.  The band does not really chance your digestive tract - it's only restrictive (you eat less) and not malabsorptive.  RNY and DS are both restrictive and malabsorptive.  Again, I am not knowledgeable about the sleeve.

What other questions do you have?  Are you ready to seek a surgical consult yet or is it too soon to suggest that to you?

gary3917
on 1/25/13 8:27 am - Duson, LA
DS on 06/05/13

funkyphillygirl

Thanx for your good response. I am now in my 4th month preop... 2 months to go! Just can not find a doc to do DS here in La area . The surgeons here are ALL pushing for the sleeve and one for the gastris BP. again as you said it is in THIER best interest

funkyphillygirl
on 1/25/13 8:50 am

Good for  you!  I didn't realize you'd already had a consult and were on the path to surgery.  I had RNY, so obviously, my experience and bias is for that surgery.  There are not a lot of surgeons in the Philadelphia area that do DS either, although there are a few.  I saw one and considered it, but ultimately opted for RNY.  I already have osteopenia, so I did not want to risk the malabsorption of calcium that seemed a lot worse with DS vs. RNY.  Also, the person that I knew who had DS had a lot of issues with vitamin deficiencies and really horrible and disruptive gas and gastric issues - not something I wanted either.  After learning more about my options, I felt that RNY gave me the best combination of advantages.  And, 16 months after having had it, I am very, very happy with the results. 

What's your surgery date, Gary?  And what have you chosen, at this point - the sleeve or RNY?

Good luck!!

gary3917
on 1/26/13 7:11 am - Duson, LA
DS on 06/05/13

funkyphillygirl ,

I am going to get the DS .I think that this is the best option for me bcause of my very severe diabetis ...DS is more possible at a 98% of diabetic remission instead of an 85% with the RNY and the sleeve will only reduce it...not completley .I'm so g;ad yours has worked out.

I am confused about how (hard) vitamins can absorb as they say RNY and DS do not allow for absortion of food .I would think it would do better in a powder form .Sure don't make sense to me ? I hve heard vitamins generaly don't absorb even w/o any WLS.

Thanx for your input

Gary

illinois18
on 5/28/13 2:22 pm
whislinkong
on 3/6/13 3:44 pm - fairbanks, AK

was type 2 for 20 years diet controlled, then when had injury....had to start insulin....became insulin resistant...md stated that it would be best if i went for rny...it would resolve my diabetes....1 day after surgery no insulin....a1c levels continue to be at 4-5 after surgery also my meds for hbp etc all went away.....if I hadnt done the gastric bypass my md said I would most likely be dead in 5yrs thats how out of control it was....good luck to you

SW 294 / CW193 / GW 160  HT 5'7"

huskergalWsD
on 3/18/13 3:22 am

post op from Rny thought it resolved my diabetes from pre op, but guess what?? I had a heart attack from a 100 % clogged artery ,, doctor told me when eating sugar post op it thickens the arteries and eventually cloggs the arteries causing heart attacks..had my heart attack number 2 on Dec. 22nd 2012.  stent # 8 placed in my heart artery,,some things doctors dont tell you pre op..damm it!

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

laughingpoodles
on 6/25/16 10:37 pm

7 years ago I was two weeks from my surgery date.  My aunt had just passed away from surgery complications; they didn't do a stress test. we have family history long story short I went to a cardio who told me I had had two "silent" heart attacks, common in diabetics...I was diagnosed with 99% clogged arteries, and had stents put in over the next several months.....they didn't work and I ended up with having to have a quadruple bypass.....that surgery that I Never had saved my life! Here I am seven years later and am in the loop to have the RNY July-August, my heart has completely repaired itself (I had a third heart attack that I KNEW was happening after I was stented, which caused the CABG surgery)  if you have any of the conditions that cause clogged arteries I doubt the surgery was the cause and you are lucky you made it through with no problems...I had no symptoms and no idea I had had two heart attacks, the only thing I felt was very fatigued, which can be caused by a lot of things....so hang in there....if this applies GO RED FOR WOMEN!  Completely healed heart is 100% strong and cardio calls me his walking medical miracle  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 178 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 508 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 859 views