Keto. A clarification.

itsjustmisty
on 10/3/18 1:25 pm
VSG on 10/10/18

IMO a true Keto diet is what puts you into Ketosis. So the stats range. Many I Know doing Keto their carbs are at a much lower percentage rate, then again I have seen people reach Ketosis at a higher one too. It just depends on your body. That's why there isn't just a one set of numbers for Keto's or following macro's in general. Just basic guidelines.

Liz J.
on 10/4/18 2:43 pm
DS on 11/29/16

Yes! This is so true! In Australia they say under 50 carbs a day and their packaging is net carbs unlike the US that puts gross carbs on all food labels.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Amy R.
on 10/4/18 11:14 pm

I get that and I agree that different people would have different optimum percentages.

What do you think of Cathy's explanation that true keto is actually more than just being in ketosis, that real keto is basically a lifestyle. Similar to veganism.

Understanding that has made a big difference in the way I think of keto now and answers a lot of the questions I had.

itsjustmisty
on 10/5/18 7:51 am
VSG on 10/10/18

Well that's a complex question in a way. Depends on who you talk to. The word Keto derives from Ketosis. Which means the point of the diet is to get to Ketosis. Keto was a diet that was original just for epilepsy children many years ago before it ever turned into a "fad" (another word I don't particularly like but whatever). Studies showed children who were given a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet had less seizures eventually we learned this diet had other benefits (weightloss). The original Keto diet was 90% fat, 6% protein and 4% Carb. Since then it has been modified (much like low carb diets). I would say if people want to get "technical" then if they were to follow the "true keto" then that would be the stats above and if they are not then they were not doing the "true keto". In the end the goal is ketosis to lose weight. We are a society built on labels. We want to name everything. Everything has to have it's own box. So yes, I would say if a person were to reach Ketosis and didn't follow some laid out keto diet plan someone made then yes, would not be following that diet. But it doesn't take away from the fact they were still losing weight due to ketosis they just didn't get there by that specific plan.

I think people have a hard time with simplicity. We want set rules that explain how to do something and only those rules should apply if they don't then it's not "right". But what's hard for people to grasp is when people are able to "bend" them and still get the same results. Hence modified forms of keto or Low carb diets etc. The reason many diets can be modified is every body is different. That's why the charts that say for instance, how much you have to eat to sustain your body weight are not always true because they are guidelines but not words set in stone. Because everyone's body doesn't all require the same amount of calories to sustain their current weight. So not all bodies would require the same amount of percentages to reach the goal of say Ketosis.

As far as Keto being a lifestyle? Possibly. Most diets people go on will have to be a lifestyle if you want to keep your body working the way it is. Like if you wanted your body to continue with how your body burns fat then yes, you would want to keep the lifestyle. It doesn't however mean one can't change lifestyles and still be healthy. In the end I personally don't really get into the "lifestyle" kick of talk. I have no problem calling a diet a diet. The reason the whole lifestyle trend even started was the word diet was believed to be "short" term. But the medical word diet is just "a way of eating" meaning your "lifestyle" is still technically also a "diet". LOL. It's all how technical you wanna be. I find it pointless to have so many variations of a diet. But that's me. I get it. People want rules and guidelines to follow or they feel they don't know what to do. In the end I don't think any of it really matters. What matters is your health and if the diet is keeping you healthy or not. Every diet has positive and negative experiences because again every body is different. So I say, find a way of eating (even if it doesn't have a label) that works for you and screw IMO the semantics. Just my way of thinking :)

Most Active