Advice for pre-ops

Amy R.
on 4/5/18 8:42 am

Congrats on your upcoming surgery. And good for you for being open minded enough to at least listen to suggestions. It will make your recovery much smoother and you'll definitely have a leg up on losing the most weight possible during your "honeymoon" period.

bubbly1intoronto
on 4/4/18 8:59 pm
RNY on 01/06/17

Great post and responses.

Thanks!

Referral October 2015, TWH; Orientation Jan 6/16, NP - Apr 7/16: SW- May13/16, Nutrition class May 16/16, Nutrition assess - Jun 16/16, met with surgeon Oct 21/16 High weight - Dec 2016 - 298 lbs. Start of 3 week pre op diet Dec 16, 2016 - 288.2 lbs. Sx date: Jan 6/17 - 269.4 lbs. Initial goal weight 165 lbs.

Amy R.
on 4/5/18 8:44 am

It takes time to answer a thread like this and I also am thankful for those who took a few minutes. The more input the better.

It looks like you're at goal? Congratulations!

Linda W.
on 4/5/18 7:15 am - Clearlake, CA

All of these suggestions are good, and newbies would all be well off following them. One thing I didn't see mentioned is exercise. It only needs to be a short walk to start with, but it's important in order to maximize the honeymoon period. I know when I first had surgery, walking to the mailbox was an effort. So I walked around my couch until I got lighter and stronger. Just move in whatever way you can. Sometimes that walk to the mailbox can feel like a marathon.

Linda    
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/5/18 8:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Great point! I'd also like to add that "anything is better than nothing." You don't need to go to the gym, take up Zumba, or join a sports team. Take a walk, do some gentle stretching, WHATEVER! Find something you don't mind doing, and do it when you can :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Amy R.
on 4/5/18 8:50 am

You're right about moving your body. It can be anything you are comfortable doing, but it's very important to add activity into your day.

Be careful not to eat the calories back though. If your fitbit or whatever says you've expended 2000 calories on the elliptical, know that you do NOT have an extra 2000 calories that you can eat that day. Not sure how all of this calorie estimating thing came about but be wary. A lot of us never eat our calories back and in my mind the only safe way to approach the whole situation is to ignore that "calories expended" number completely.

Just my opinion though. =)

peachpie
on 4/5/18 4:19 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

My advice, wish I had known: dumping may be subtle. It may not be not rolling on the floor writhing in pain. It may not be projectile vomiting, or explosive diarrhea. That what I was looking for- and never found.

I only experienced a rather mild stomach upset/racing heart that I could have easily ignored or connected it to other things.

More importantly, if I kept eating searching for that extreme response-- I'd never have lost so much weight. I see so many say that they want rny to keep them honest. In reality it may deceive you worse than your most hated ex.

you have to keep your self honest, and committed- for LIFE.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Amy R.
on 4/6/18 1:05 am

Thanks for the reminder Peach. That is so true. Whether we succeed or fail, it's on US.

And on the dumping. Probably because of the name, there are so many misconceptions about what dumping is and isn't. I wish surgeons or pre-op classes or some such made a point of explaining what causes it and what true dumping is. It would save a lot of confused newbies. For the record, these are the main symptoms of dumping syndrome:

dizziness
feeling bloated
increased heart rate
nausea
skin flushing
stomach pain and cramping

Diarrhea is also possible. The "dumping" refers not to diarrhea or bowel problems, but to something called rapid gastric emptying. Too much sugar is emptied into your small intestine all at once. It is generally thought to be particular to bypass patients, but others can sometimes get it as well. There are even some people with dumping syndrome who have had no weight loss surgery at all.

I'm sure I'm missing something important because it's so late at night so if someone could please correct me I would appreciate it.

Laura in Texas
on 4/6/18 3:57 am, edited 4/5/18 8:58 pm

The surgery is not "magic" and you will never be "cured". Do not stop following your plan. It may change a bit when you get to maintenance, but this will be hard work forever!!

I will be 10 years out this year. I know a lot of people in my town that had surgery the same time as me. I only know one or two people, besides me, who are still at or below goal. Most have gained a lot back.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Amy R.
on 4/6/18 8:58 pm

yep.

I wish there was a way to flag posts of those who've been successful long-term. So that others can be reminded to pay extra attention to those like you who've not only lost and got to goal but who have consistently remained there.

It takes effort, trial and error, and having a laser focus on eating correctly every single day.

There are a handful of folks here that are many years post-op and know exactly what works because they live it. To me, it would make sense for the newbies and others to give extra attention to what you have to say.

Thanks Laura!

Most Active