I'm New, Nervous and Excited!

theAntiChick
on 1/17/17 11:30 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

A lot of places won't do the lapband anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies start refusing to cover it.  VSG has a good track record though.  And with the auto-immune, you should be able to get an exception if they cover bypass and for some reason don't want to cover VSG.  I've had experience fighting insurance, forced one to cover a knee reconstruction they claimed was "investigational and experimental".  It takes some paperwork and perseverance, but it can be done.  :)

I don't know of any reason you wouldn't be able to take Humira, but the meloxicam or any other NSAID would very likely not be an option with RNY, or steroids if you had a bad flare.  But I don't know that for sure, definitely discuss with your team.  :D

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

AmandaB9780
on 1/31/17 5:52 am
RNY on 03/07/17

After a very nice discussion with my surgeon (whom I just adore) and his crotchety NP, we're staying the course with the RNY. The NP acted like I was a fool for even thinking that VSG should be considered for relief of arthritis. She also attempted to correct me in asking why I kept referring to it as "VSG" - "I'm not really sure why you keep referring to it as VSG though..." Um, because every bit of research that I've done on the Sleeve refers to it that way! No, I did not like her. However, once I found the study that I was referring to done at NYU, I so wanted her to come back into the room so I could show her that she clearly needed to do her homework as she was the one that told me that it was ludicrous and that no research had been done on it at all. However, my surgeon knew exactly what I was referring to and even knew the doctors that did the study there at NYU. Hmmm. 

However, with as bad as my AR is and the fact that I'm literally getting one shot at this per my insurance, he didn't feel it was in my best interest to take a "chance" at relieving my PsA when there is still a "chance" with RNY and a guarantee that my AR will be eliminated. He said he would whatever surgery I asked him to, but felt for me this was my best option. 

theAntiChick
on 1/31/17 8:03 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Wow, yeah, the NP needs to get some education.  VSG is the abbreviation for the actual name of the procedure - Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.  "Sleeve" is a slang term, medically speaking.

It sounds like they're looking at all the ramifications for both, the question I would want answered if I were you is what are they going to give you in replacement for the meloxicam (or steroids for a bad flare) if you do need something for inflammation?  And if they are thinking they can still give the NSAIDs/steroids if needed, how are they going to monitor for ulcers in the residual stomach?

Like I said, it sounds like they're considering everything, those are just the questions I would want answered.  As a nurse, I am always thinking about the treatment plan.  LOL.  :)

Either way, I think you'll see a lot of improvement with your chronic conditions regardless of which surgery.  My inflammatory factors are down (but not quite normal) post-op, and we have taken biologics off the table for treatment indefinitely because of the positive effects so far.  My joints are MUCH happier carrying 75 fewer lbs.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

AmandaB9780
on 1/31/17 8:32 am
RNY on 03/07/17

The Meloxicam is for my Osteoarthritis which is alleviated by either surgery. It's the arthritis in my spine caused by the excess weight on my frame. So that's not an issue as I shouldn't need to take it. I do also take Tylenol Arthritis so I can still take that until it's not needed anymore. The Psoriatic Arthritis will hopefully be alleviated as well, but we'll see. I don't know what triggered my autoimmune to come out, but it started when I hit the 200 lb mark. That could very well be a fluke or it could be my trigger. I guess we'll see how it goes.

AmandaB9780
on 1/19/17 6:58 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Thank you for the welcome! You have amazing strength and I so admire how open you are about your journey. Thank you!

Most Active