Head vs. Heart

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/3/16 11:06 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Please keep posting, you can learn so much from the people here, keep in mind not everything you hear you have to take to heart, some things you just might not be ready to hear, not everything will apply to you. Listen, you can either take their advice or put it on the shelf to look at another day, or disregard it totally.

Yes it can be very lively in here, nothing wrong with hanging out in lurker mode till you get a lay of the land. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Lodie
on 10/1/16 8:17 am
VSG on 10/15/14

Please keep coming back and contributing. You will hear all sorts of replies. Some short and to the point, in some you will find more emotional support. We need all types to keep us informed and growing in our knowledge base! If you step back and try to read objectively there is almost always something to be gained or learned. Try not to take it too personally. You are pre op and obviously trying to get your head in the game. Good for you. 

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

hollykim
on 10/1/16 8:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 30, 2016 at 9:27 PM Pacific Time, MTS31801 wrote:

A friend of mine had the Gastric sleeve done earlier this year. I was messaging with her on FB today and asked her how her weight loss was going. She said it was slow but steady. She also informed me that even though she had the surgery and her stomach is half it's size, and knowing she can't eat as much her head is still telling her to eat what she wants. She still wants all the bad things she wanted before surgery. She says it is a struggle each day. Someone sent her a post on FB about a new Ice cream shop opening up in ur area. She posted "OMG".  When I saw this it made me sad.

I know surgery is a tool, I know surgery isn't a quick fix, I know your head will interfere if you let it. I told my friend "Don't look at stuff like that"!  Scan over it if your on FB, walk away from people describing New restaurants and recipes that are not healthy. Sabotage is all around us! We have to get and we have to have a mentality that "Our life is and will be changing"! We don't like what we have become. That is why we are putting our bodies through SURGERY! We need help in order to get our bodies back into a healthy state.

Once an alcoholic realizes he has a problem he removes himself from the bar, night clubs, and liquor. No matter how much his heart or head are screaming for him to take that first drink he's got to deny his thoughts. It's not easy, and yes it's emotional. But if we are to succeed we need to remove ourselves from unhealthy temptations. 

Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years are right around the corner. Plan now how you are going to address the situations that will arrive. If going visiting eat healthy before the visit. Inform people now not to give you Sweets as gifts , don't think of the dishes you won't to be able to stuff your self with. We need to be wise and to protect our resolutions.

I have not had my surgery yet. I am only jumping through the insurance hoops right now. I don't want to put my body through surgery and be given a tool which will help me to succeed only to ignore the dangers out there that my tool has no control over. I want my head and my tool to work together so I will reach my goal and regain my health!  FB, TV, Magazine pictures, New Restaurants,  Holidays, recipes, Social functions I put you all on notice NOW! I will not look or entertain or participate in your  activities.

To keep myself motivated I will watch "My 600 lb. Life" to scare me and show me what loosing control can cause me! I ask God  to help me through this journey, I take this journey one step at a time and one day at a time AND one pound at a time!

so you want to post what you want to post, but then get to tell everyone only what they can post? Hmmm something seems wrong about that. 

You are, unfortunately, appear to be in for more  struggles than you ever thought, with this attitude.

MTS31801
on 10/1/16 10:16 am

Ok! I have unblocked people who have upset me! I'll be a good girl now and read your advice. Now please STOP COMMENTING! I GOT THE POINT! YAAABOB!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/2/16 2:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

In the future, you can click the button under a post and un-check the box that says "notify me when someone replies to my post." It's a feature that comes in handy sometimes. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/2/16 3:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On October 1, 2016 at 5:16 PM Pacific Time, MTS31801 wrote:

Ok! I have unblocked people who have upset me! I'll be a good girl now and read your advice. Now please STOP COMMENTING! I GOT THE POINT! YAAABOB!

Ok. You stop first.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Autumn2016
on 10/1/16 10:49 pm, edited 10/1/16 3:49 pm - AZ
RNY on 10/26/16
Steph Meat Hag
on 10/4/16 8:09 am, edited 10/4/16 1:23 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Late to the race here but if I slow down and think about where this went wrong I just can't find it.  What you said about you in your original post is where you need to be.  You are thinking about how food and events will be in the future and that's VERY important.  I think too many people have WLS and then arrive at Thanksgiving only to feel sad, embarrassed, or just conflicted about food in a social setting where people are expected to eat grandma's apple pie on top of a couple pounds of food.  

I think your also seeing how your friend is "doing it wrong" from your new perspective on food and WLS afterlife.  Now I tend to agree with your perspective especially my first 6 months out.  I was militant 100% and never allowed one thing on my "demon food list" into my mouth.  However in months 6-8 I've let the leash out a bit, I looked back at my demon foods and realized that my very real desire to have ice cream wasn't the worst of my demon foods.  I've never kept ice cream in the house so I can easily control how much and when it happens, unlike when I used to bring home a box of cookies or bag of chips.  So in reevaluating my list of "I can't handle these foods" I let up on ice-cream and have allowed a couple trips to happen.  Call this a break in will power, or just learning to deal with life and making adjustments to my list.  Whatever it is I still feel like I'm in full control and am ok with the choice because things change over time. 

That brings me to the point others were making.  Life after WLS is an odd trip.  It's full of decisions and different paths.  I know this because 8 years ago I had WLS (lap band) and was successful at first.  I however did several things wrong from the start.  I didn't make a plan, I didn't think about how to deal with events, I didn't have a demon foods list, or how to deal with people at work.  I didn't know I needed to.  I'd been on this forum and read about needing to but I hadn't walked the walk. Things are really different when your walking this path every day.  You'll learn a lot about yourself if your willing to listen and you can then adjust your plan if your comfortable.

So I'm speaking to you as someone who had WLS 8 years ago and fell from grace over those years and lost and gained it all back.  I then had VSG 8 months ago but I entered in with so many more plans, a new set of skills, research, and feelings.  I was able to do this though because hindsight is 20/20 and I knew I needed to take advice from those more experience.  Advice from those who've walked the walk might be hard for a newbie to understand, the reason is that before WLS things haven't been experienced.  However the knowledge newbies can gain from those willing to share is the most important tool you'll have.  Anyone who's on here wants to help or be helped, it's important to listen and process any information that you can.  You can decide that it's important and it's likely to happen to you, or that it's not important and isn't an issue for your life situation.  

Now you get my advice: Make a plan, make a list of food you must give up for you to be successful, read posts on here and learn anything you can take from them.  Also understand that WLS can make you judgmental.  You can't be super sweet about food in your own life, you'll see people at the store and you'll judge them.  I do it all the time and I am not ashamed to mentally judge the fat lady rolling a basket of cookies, cakes, chips, and sodas.  In fact I judge her and I reaffirm that I was in her shoes, I did do that to myself, and I was that person.  The important thing is that I WAS that person, I am not now and I continue my shopping an I stick to my plan.  Judging others is an important tool and your seeing it already.  You made the judgement that your friend should roll past those FB post and not think about ice cream.  You didn't say it to her, you just thought it and reaffirmed to yourself that in the future you will choose to do that.  Now take that feeling of judging and think about how that turns into helping people.  

This is similar space where you had a few of the posts that ruffled your feathers.  People that have been on here can quickly judge a post and know if it's going to run down a path which might not result in the best outcome.  How do they know?  Because they've been on here for many years.  I can tell you that I see the same type/category of posts over and over and then you'll see that person over time fall into pitfalls that you warned them of 3 months ago.  If anyone on here points something out just listen and decide if it's important and likely to happen in your life, or if it's not important.  No hurt feelings, no being upset, people are on here to help or be helped and you decide what parts you take with you.  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

MTS31801
on 10/4/16 11:42 am

Thank You Yellow TJ!  I accept your post and advise. You made your point clear and you did it with grace and kindness. I will continue to read posts.  I do need to gain knowledge of how to travel this road I'm on and I can't do it by myself. That's why I chose this forum. It's not the advise that upset me as much as in the way it was delivered. I now realize that there are people who will post and  be brutally bunt in your face. I have never reacted well to those type of people. With me you get a better acceptance with a little kindness than you do with in your face attitudes.

I'm old school! kindness begets kindness! in your face attitude gets you a whole lot of anger and hostility! Your advise was wise and I heard every word you wrote. I realize people aren't on here to make friends, but a little kindness to an unknown stranger sure makes taking there advise easier to swallow. I don't want to be babied, I just would like some considerate kindness.

As I said I will continue to read post and may even post a question or two as they arrive. 

Thank you!

Most Active