Struggling to see my success

Willie H.
on 10/27/15 8:50 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I had the Vertical Sleeve and to be honest after 12 months there were months where not only did I not lose weight but actually gained a lb or two. Of course it was due to my not being diligent in my nutrition and exercise-I was negligent at times- but it made me realize that I am and always will be accountable to myself for my health.

The first six months were automatic-the sleeve (tool) did the job but the next 6 months is where I learned the most about myself and what I needed to do to remain healthy. I made bad eating choices which in the past would have put weight on me QUICKLY but the sleeve prevented me from gaining weight very fast, but still my weight loss was retarded. And thought about how stupid I was returning to bad habits, learning a good lesson and time to re-commit myself to better eating choices and habits.

So use those months or weeks where lost is slow to learn about yourself-your eating habits, your activity level. sleep, stress, relationships and so forth because they are ALL integrated into this journey. I know you said you did everything correctly as opposed to what I did but still it is most important to keep working the program no matter what because we can get frustrated, discouraged, and life WILL get in the way, matter of fact, THIS IS our new life! Not to seem haughty. condescending or dogmatic but from here on it is based on what we put into our health what we get out of it.

As you look back (and for me it's only been 14 months) I find the most enjoyable weeks are those where I had to work, sweat and toil for those lost lbs! The tool is just that-a tool. But a tool is nothing without the toiler using effort and eventually learning how to handle it properly and masterfully. In the end it's our mind-tool and mind set that determines how we make out.

I still have 40 lbs to lose and these are HARD, HARD lbs to come off, it can be frustrating but day in and day out I'm working it! If I want to lose weight and remain at a weight lost I know that for the rest of my life I have to stay committed to getting healthy-not to be negative or discouraging but this is our reality-nutrition and activity on a regular basis.

So just hang in there-it's still early in both your and my journey. As you said, you're a better mother and wife now-also a better and healthier life now!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Juliek7312
on 10/26/15 5:05 am

thanks everyone for the replies :) also seeing you're numbers each month really helps to show me that I am being silly.

Height: 5'5" HW: 370 SW: 363 CW: 177 RNY: 4/28/15

Willie H.
on 10/28/15 8:11 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I also noticed this morning as I worked out at gym that my body has definitely changed from 3 months ago-although I'm only down about 4 lbs from then-yep, it's a slow roll now! So our body does go through a transformation and shifts even when we do not see the lbs coming off. My arms and shoulders look wider and my hips and thighs look thinner although my clothes still feel the same. Also workmates have asked me if I lost more weight? So.......just keep working the program."Build and the health will come"

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Chickenboob
on 10/26/15 7:22 am - Rockland, Canada

You are doing amazing. It took me 18 weeks to lose 60 pounds after surgery. I 'm a sloooooooooooooow loser, I would love 10 pounds in a month. Because in 9 months, I will be at goal. Less than a year. Nine months go by fast. I also spend over half my time on plateaus.

Don't change a thing. As you lose weight, the weight loss rate naturally slows down too. Your numbers truly are outstanding.

Personally, I still see the 338-pound woman when I look in the mirror. I know that's not the reality, but I am working on it.

Big hug to you, you are awesome.

K

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

mute
on 10/26/15 9:33 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Just an FYI I had RNY in March and was 377 and am now 266 so we're right around the same weight loss. I think we are doing AMAZING! GO US! In my opinion don't worry about what your doctor said about how much you should lose per month. If you're doing what you should be doing and eating what you should be doing which it sounds like you are for sure then I wouldn't worry about it at all. You are doing a fantastic job.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/28/15 9:59 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

13 pounds lost is a good amount. That's about the max that I lost - remember you have made permanent changes and you can enjoy your 100 pound loss as the months to 150 tick by. We all want it gone yesterday, but it takes time. Hang in there.

Sharon

eliserz
on 10/29/15 12:33 pm

Hi you said that you have been going to the gym 4 days a week and doing strength training. You may not be losing as much either because of the muscle you are gaining. Muscle weighs more than fat. My doctor said eventually I won't notice much of a difference in the number but i will in the way my clothes fit. My friend had the VSG and shes stuck at 155. However when she first posted photos of her at 155 and what she looks like now at the same weight is way different. You can just see how her body has toned up and isn't just flab.

Most Active