Travelling

mute
on 10/3/15 12:09 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I haven't eaten any protein bars since the surgery at all for the exact same reason lol! But that is a good idea too so I don't get stuck in a bad situation.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/3/15 6:41 pm

Lots of protein bars have sugar alcohol or a lot of fiber - make sure you don't get gassy on them. I know I do.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 10/4/15 9:10 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Good call, I'll try one this week to see how I react to it.

Gwen M.
on 10/3/15 12:09 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I like tuna pouches. They don't need refrigeration and are easy to eat. I also love my hydroflask since it keeps my drinks cold all day.

I went to NYC at 5 weeks post-op and, even then, I had no problems finding food I could eat. It's so easy to find protein forward food in restaurants!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

christinerocks
on 10/3/15 3:26 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Yes! Those tuna pouches are a life saver - I forgot about those. Shelf stable, just tear them open and good to go. I love the mexican and mediterranean pre-seasoned ones.

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

mute
on 10/4/15 9:15 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Tuna pouches is a good one, haven't had that in a while so I wouldn't have thought of that!

Roma
on 10/4/15 2:30 am
RNY on 06/15/15

I am currently in Japan, on the Shinkansen train so I had some time to check the forum! I am 3.5 months out and have been in Japan for about a week now. I've been ok - lots of meat, eggs, veg (and my godsend Metamucil). I have had to rely on nuts too, just because they travel easily... though I'm not a fan of the mega calories.

The main obstacle has been the language barrier, ordering meat and then it arrives covered in sweet sugary sauce. You'll be fine! Go and have fun :)

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

sweetpotato1959
on 10/5/15 10:19 pm

..high protein bars, if you know of one you can eat,and with the jerky, I could eat corn chips, the baked ones in small bags for travel:

Frozen water bottle?(clear,unopened) ??Might have to buy water in airport to be able to take on plane.

dried Fruit, or cup for plane, in case of sugar drop, .

.chewing gum-for ears.

Pork skins,individual bags to divide into... I would keep carry on small, maybe big purse?/or beach bag type, (must close securely).. so could have in reach at all times,with accessible food, rest would go in checked baggage..including my usual purse.

Denise
Valerie G.
on 10/7/15 6:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

See if you can lure one of your friends to share her plate with you, since you only eat a few bites. I have added another side dish to make up for the split, too.

It also helps to look up the menu online so you can strategize before you go there.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

stacy T.
on 10/7/15 6:44 pm - San Francisco, CA

Buy the protein drinks when you get to NYC so you don't have issues with baggage. Way less to buy some than to pay for a checked back you don't need otherwise.

Beef Jerkey

Tuna packs (i make sure I have salt to add)

Hardboiled eggs keep outside of refrigeration (again I take salt)

Bonne Bel wax covered cheeses taste pretty good and keep for day and days not refrigerated.

The laughing cow wedges also keep well.

Crackers

If you have a cost plus world market they are a good place to score snacks that are stable.

It's not to hard to eat out. Anything with meat in it works. You can pick out meat and leave whatever you don't need.

Agree with your traveling companions that when there is something on the menu that you would both like you will share it. You only eat a little bit and most restaurant portions are way huge anyhow. I call that having buffet, just taking a small taste of whatever will work for me. I bet your friends won't mind at all.

And keep in mind that NYC is full of food and you can always stop in somewhere and pick up what you need, you don't have to take it all with you.

It will be fine, it is amazing how much jerky helps ; -)

Most Active