hello! I'm new here

TiffSPLIFF
on 9/25/15 4:09 pm

Everything is going to be completely different, a while new life with brand new experiences. Our surgery date is going to be like a new birthday! =P 

Valerie G.
on 9/25/15 5:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Before you discuss procedures with your surgeon, do some homework yourself and learn everything you can about the VSG and the RNY (and the DS for extra credit).  You want to compare what you know about your body and how it reacts to your dieting efforts to what you learn about each procedure.  They are distinctively different, and NOT one-size-fits-all, so which one you get will have a great impact of success or failure.  This is not something a doc can sum up for you in 15 min.  Do your own due diligence.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TiffSPLIFF
on 9/25/15 4:15 pm

Yes! Still doing lots of research myself, these forums are very helpful, and also using other resources. My surgeon only offers RNY & VSG. I have a huge book they provided me with at orientation that explains a lot about the entire process. 

Willie H.
on 9/26/15 6:24 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Welcome! I still feel like a newbie although for me it's been a year. But there is so much wisdom and experience on this forum that I guess I will always feel new especially as I continue to go through new experiences, issues, conundrums and even mini setbacks.

All I can say is what I've enjoyed most about having the surgery is that it gave me my life back, put e in control and also made me realize I am accountable. It's a wonderful tool but we have to remember it is just that-a "tool". The first few months, for some even up to a year you are on cruise control as far as weight lost, but that is also the time to develop good habits. I made a LOT of mistakes my first year. Yes I've lost a a 100 lbs but I could have lost more, but I've gained much in understanding and how my mind works. So easy to get back into our old mindset.

So use this forum extensively, be honest with yourself and with others. If the vets have to come down on you firmly don't take it personally as if they are picking on you, take it as concern, as tough love from those who have been IN the trenches!

If you work the program and heed the experience and wisdom here, you'll be fine. I'm glad you are giving up the smokes, and regardless of if you chose the Sleeve or RNY, you've just made a great decision to take over your life and to become healthy! So welcome and congrats!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Most Active