Sorry, just saw this..

yes 5,000 a day 

1 in morning

1 before bed..

id start taking it now..can't hurt.

this being said, you will most likely 

lose hair..I did ALOT of it

its part of the stress of surgery

BUT...my hair has come back better than ever!!!

also, here's the down side of biotin (for me anyway)

my girly mustache grows really fast now..

I have more chin hair then EVER!!

and it's all coming in darker than before, I was very fair in body hair...

and I now have knuckle hair!! ( only I can see it,but it's there)

This is making my waxer VERY. Happy!!!

But HEY!...I'll take it ANYDAY!....I feel it's a small price to pay

to get my fuller hair back, better than it's been in almost 20 yrs!! 

ClaudiaW
on 10/12/14 10:48 am - Rockwall, TX

my doctor said Protein protein protein is very important and will lessen the hair loss.

Karen H.
on 10/12/14 11:09 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Thanks for that info!! Did your doctor say "how much" protein? Is there a protein supplement I can take to go along with the protein I eat?

SophieNJ
on 10/12/14 8:13 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Biotin alone only made what hair I had grow faster....my nut suggested take it with B complex.  I wonder if it could be the anesthesia used....I did not lose much of my already thin hair after wls.  however, 4 months ago I had knee replacement and I am currently losing a lot....time to see if the combo of biotin/b complex works or not.  Good luck to you (and try a scalp concealer, such as Joan Rivers Great Hair Day - I use it faithfully, really helps).

Sophie

TheNewT
on 10/12/14 11:45 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

One of the ladies on the site posts a great article about Telogen Effluvium. It helps explain why some WL patients lose their hair. From what I've read on this site it can begin during month 3 and last a few months. Most of the stories include people getting a shorter haircut/style to mask the effects of the shedding hair. Some wash their hair less to decrease the amount of manipulation done. Some try Biotin. Biotin won't stop the hair loss. It will help the hair you have, and will have, grow faster. Do note acne can be a side effect of taking Biotin. And I don't mean just on your face...hello back acne!

It's one of those side effects of surgery that some of us may have to deal with. And as I creep closer to that 3 month mark, believe me the freak out is starting to happen. But I have to remember that it's just hair. It will come back.

Tlove6
on 10/12/14 11:50 pm

Yup, 3 mos like clockwork. It's been almost a month. My hair is very long right now, so I'm thinking about a cut. Seeing the surgeon today, so we will see if he has any advice!

thanks for the tips!

HW: 283; SW: 269; pre-op: -12, M1: -16.2; M2: -10.6; M3: -13.3; M4: -8.2; M5: -8.9; M6: -8.5

csbsteph
on 10/13/14 12:02 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCI-wvW4I0 I had major hair loss due to thyroid problems way before surgery then months 3-5 after surgery I had a big clumpy loss...it has slowed up drastically.  I do take biotin and a hair skin nails supplement as well.  Your hair loss will stop & nobody is gonna notice your hair loss just your weight loss.  Best of luck

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Valerie G.
on 10/13/14 1:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You cannot stop telogen effluvium, so plan on this happening for another couple of months.  Any extra vitamins or protein you eat rigth now will benefit the new growth presently pushing out the old  My biggest recommendation is a makeover. Cut it a little shorter and introduce layers that will give you some instant volume and make you feel better as well as allowing the new growth emerging to blend in better.  It will keep you from looking like a chia pet as it comes in. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views