I Got Sleeved

joshcoop
on 4/24/14 4:29 am - Blaine, MN
VSG on 04/22/14

Hey everyone. Just wanted to check in with everyone to let you know I got my sleeve this past Tuesday (22nd). It wasn't super bad, but I had a rough day yesterday! Yuck! I was light headed, sooooo tired, horrible cramps in my abdomen and pressure/gas that would not go away. 

I finally got some good sleep after I got home last night and felt so much better this morning!! It's amazing what sleep does for you. 

I have been walking around and sipping water all day. I still have some of the air/gas, but nowhere near like it was yesterday. The gnawing in my stomach is a bit annoying. It's like a really strong hunger pain that just rumbles and rumbles. I had no nausea (thank god) and get pretty tired easily which I think is pretty normal. I have my 1 week post-op this next Tuesday. 

I want to suck on a Popsicle, but I'm not sure how I stick to the 30ML every 15 mins rule with a Popsicle. 

Any suggestions thus far, friends? Did all you veterans get ALL your fluids in right away after surgery? It's tough and hard if you need to take a nap. I'm walking like crazy though :)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/24/14 4:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Hooray! You made it! :-D

Walking helps with the gas-- keep up the walking! My surgeon gave me the OK for gas-X (I think they make it in strips) and I took those for a day or two, you might want to give those a shot if your doc says it's OK.

Popsicles are great, I believe one works out to about 80ml or so depending on how big they are-- I used the smaller ones because they would melt before I could finish them. So they should be OK.

I had a hard time with fluids at first for the same reason, I was sleeping all the time! It's also hard when your insides are really swollen too and you can't get much dow Sip while you're awake and do the best you can.

Glad to hear your surgery went well, now the REAL fun begins! :-D

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

joshcoop
on 4/24/14 4:53 am - Blaine, MN
VSG on 04/22/14

Thank you so much!! You look fantastic!! Xoxo

Amber G.
on 4/24/14 4:49 am, edited 4/24/14 4:57 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Yay!! Glad to see ya made it through well!! Gas will get better with each passing day, but walking is totally the only real way to resolve it. I am 3 weeks out, and still have issues getting fluids in :( I finally accepted the fact, that I do best with the Powerade Zero. I am able to get real close when I drink that. As far as the popsicles go, I was not told to stop at a certain point. I just took my time. In a few more days, eating the popsicle will be so much easier for you! When I wanted the "chew" sensation, popsicles were my go to also. Literally you will see, each day gets easier! I can drink now pretty normal size sips/drinks, and like 3-4 at a time. I just don't chug it. Big Congrats on your new beginning!! 

Edit to add: As far as the "gnawing" feeling. Did you Dr prescribe you Levsin? It is a dis solvable pill that you put under your tongue. It helps control stomach spams. It worked wonders for me, and they had me taking it same day of surgery forward. I have since stopped taking it. Also, you may need a PPI (Prilosec, etc), it also helps wonders for the acid part of it. 

joshcoop
on 4/24/14 4:55 am - Blaine, MN
VSG on 04/22/14

Thank you for the response. I'm already so ready to chew something. Not hungry, just want to chew! That gnawing feeling in my stomach....is that the gas?? 

Amber G.
on 4/24/14 4:56 am, edited 4/24/14 4:58 am
VSG on 04/02/14

I added a little bit more info to the bottom of my 1st response :) i am sure you could "chew" the popsicle now, just let it melt before you swallow. 

themexcellentone
on 4/24/14 6:56 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

No, it is the acid.  Did your doctor prescribe you something like Pepcid to reduce the acid your sleeve will produce?  That will help with the "gnawing" sensation.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

joshcoop
on 4/24/14 7:00 am - Blaine, MN
VSG on 04/22/14

I'm on Potonix. I know that's suppose to help with acid. It clearly isn't lol

mt_rose112
on 4/24/14 5:02 am - libby, MT

Yea on getting your sleeve done. Popsicles, your protein drink, clear soup, all count for your liquids, incase no one told you.  No one told me and I learned it here.  Good luck.

skeller
on 4/24/14 5:16 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

Oh, I'm so glad you made it through ok!! Thanks for sharing some of the details, too!

Too bad about the gnawing, and if it makes you feel better, everything I've read or heard says that people do find it very challenging getting in all your liquids as ordered. Keep at it, though! Wouldn't the popsicle count as fluids? And a popsicle has to be at least 60ML, right?

And super yay for a good night's sleep!!!

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

Most Active