RNY reversal and revision to the Sleeve

snowball24life
on 11/21/15 10:59 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

I had the RNY on May 21, 2013. I lost 160 pounds, and felt and looked healthier than I ever have. After the first year, I started suffering from severe hypoglycemia, and between my Endocrinologist and Bariatric Surgeon, we changed my diet, tried medications, changed my routine, etc, to no avail, and even gained 30 pounds back because of the changes made in my diet.

So, the two doctors decided yesterday that on December 14th, I will be having my RNY reversed, and then have the sleeve done (all at once) to try and combat the hypoglycemia. Even then I was told I may need to have part of my pancreas removed, which could make me a diabetic again.

I'm not going to lie and say I'm not nervous. As my surgeon said he will be attempting the surgery laparoscopic, but because of prior abdominal surgeries (RNY, Peterson Hernia repair, 2 c-sections) he may have to cut me open which would involve a longer recoup time. I'm also afraid of any more weight gain as I NEVER want to be 400 pounds again, so I know I still need to work the program for life.

Has anyone had a reversal of the RNY to a revision to the sleeve, and if so, how was the maintenance phase, did it cause or correct sugar/insulin issues, and how difficult was it to retrain your mind and body from the RNY to the sleeve? Thank you for all and any input.

NYMom222
on 11/21/15 11:10 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I have had not a reversal, but first of all, I want to say  I hope this surgery does what the Docs are hoping it will. Reality is we all have to work this for life. We didn't become MO because we were 'normal' ... and while we may look normal on the outside, it is something we will always have to focus on.

As far as the difference between the RNY and sleeve- as far as diet goes I think you are basically working it the same. From what I hear at the support groups as well as sleevers I know... we all have the same eating in the end. My Doc's mantra for everyone is: Protein first, then veggies, and then if you have any room fruits and carbs.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

snowball24life
on 11/21/15 11:18 am - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

Thank you. I hope this second surgery is the last of this. After being 2 and a half years post-op from the RNY, I have learned two very valuable lessons. The first is that the hardest part of my journey for me is the mental battle. The second is this is a battle we all have to fight for the rest of our lives. Thank you for your response, I'm glad to know that the diet is pretty much the same. That makes it easy for me. I just have to figure out how long each phase is post-op. 

NYMom222
on 11/21/15 11:30 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Every surgeon is different with the stages, so you will just have to ask. My surgeon is pretty quick with RNY- one week each stage... but keeps Sleeves on pureed an extra week.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Laura in Texas
on 11/21/15 11:28 am

Does your surgeon know what he is doing? Has he done many of these conversions? My fear would be I would have even more problems post-op if he screws up. This is a complicated surgery.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

snowball24life
on 11/21/15 12:48 pm - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

I pray so! He's the head bariatric surgeon of the practice with 40 years of experience.. I'm nervous though.

Laura in Texas
on 11/21/15 2:42 pm

That still does not tell me he is skilled at THIS surgery. Please do your research and ask your surgeon how many he has done and what their outcomes were. I would also search the DS archives for surgeons skilled in RNY-DS conversion since the operation is similar.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

hollykim
on 11/24/15 8:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 21, 2015 at 8:48 PM Pacific Time, snowball24life wrote:

I pray so! He's the head bariatric surgeon of the practice with 40 years of experience.. I'm nervous though.

He may have 40 years of experience,but not in bariatric surgery reversals. Bariatric surgery has barely been around that long. 

Pin reality, I would venture to say he is on the same learning curve with every other surgeon looking at doing a reversal. 

White Dove
on 11/21/15 11:51 am - Warren, OH

Do you take your blood sugar during the hypoglycemia episodes to be sure that it is not dumping?  The symptoms are the same for me but if my sugar is high then I know it is dumping and not hypoglycemia.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

snowball24life
on 11/21/15 12:50 pm - NY
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes, I've run into the 20's- 30's. My endocrinologist has run tests which are indicative of hypoglycemia. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 545 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 529 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 418 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 131 views
Recent Topics