Talked to my nutritionist yesterday

Juliek7312
on 11/20/15 6:10 am

She told me I need to try and eat some starchy vegetables so I can have a well rounded nutrition. When I said I eat my protein and get full, she told me to wait a little bit after I eat my protein and then eat some starchy veggies.

I feel like this is a bad idea......

would like some advice

Height: 5'5" HW: 370 SW: 363 CW: 177 RNY: 4/28/15

The Salty Hag
on 11/20/15 6:25 am
RNY on 05/20/13
On November 20, 2015 at 2:10 PM Pacific Time, Juliek7312 wrote:

She told me I need to try and eat some starchy vegetables so I can have a well rounded nutrition. When I said I eat my protein and get full, she told me to wait a little bit after I eat my protein and then eat some starchy veggies.

would like some advice

Your instincts are correct. NON starchy veggies are okay though, if you have room. If not, that's okay too.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

hollykim
on 11/20/15 6:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 20, 2015 at 2:10 PM Pacific Time, Juliek7312 wrote:

would like some advice

it is a bad idea. Keep on with the meat protein and no starchy Vegas. There will be plenty of time for starch Vegas when you reach goal. Your nutrition won't suffer as long as you take your vitamins while your body is burning off your stored fat for nutrition. That is what causes weight loss.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/20/15 8:09 am

Well..IMO - there is time for some starchy veggies - it is after you reach your goal and maintain well.. Until then - I would not do that. 

Looks like she wants to be her long term client... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 11/20/15 8:24 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't think it's a bad idea. I think it's a monumentally bad idea.

First, you do NOT need starchy veggies, ever, really. They just don't have nutrition in them that you can't get better some other way.

Second, she is essentially telling you to start grazing by eating, waiting a while, and eating some more. It's a horrible, horrible habit that will bite you in the butt.

IF you get your required protein in and have room for NON starchy veggies, go ahead. But if you don't have room, don't worry about it.

You just don't need the extra calories.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 11/20/15 9:21 am - Warren, OH

Even non-surgical people do not need starchy vegetables.  I am over eight years out and still do not eat them and my health is pretty great.  Carbs cause cravings and make you hold water.  Only eat them when you are really sure you want to stop losing and start gaining weight.  I have not reached that point yet.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Maria27
on 11/20/15 10:26 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

What everyone else said. She is telling you to eat around your surgery. Of course it's a bad idea!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/20/15 10:35 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Just out of complete curiosity: would you guess that this dietician has never had a weight problem?  

I've found that a lot of dieticians give one-sized-fits-all dietary advice and are completely oblivious about the needs of obese people and especially post WLS patients.

She gave you horrible advice.  She basically told you to eat around your surgery.  It makes absolutely NO sense.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

sweetpotato1959
on 11/20/15 2:01 pm

The only thing she said that made sense to me, was you need SOME carbohydrates.  CHO's are required to metabolize proteins. 

My advise is  (just what every one elses is, weigh each carefully and you will have a full scope of information to decide how you will overcome this obstacle.)....Choose carefully and incorporate SOME into your diet, Do not eat around your surgery! ...Include the amount into your daily diet..change it up don't eat the same carb every day.

My personal goal is done by ratio...for every 3-4 ounces of meat, I try to eat about an ounce of a carb of some sort

... I eat potatoes, intermittently.. as my carb, but not daily,(max 2x wk..) and in maxiumum 2 oz. per day.. I have used them since it is something I  tolerate well. I did not tolerate much for a long time,and decades later, I have intolerances in both veggies and meats....my max volume is still short of 6 ounces.

.  For those who claim that some carbs do cause cravings, .. is caused by a B-Complex lack..., and is easily overcome with sublingual B-complex. after three days it relieves the cravings should you have them, at some later time.

The Salty Hag
on 11/20/15 4:57 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Do you have a link to the info about a B12 deficiency causing cravings? 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views