Anyone else afraid to get rid of bigger clothes?

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/15 12:32 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I sell mine on eBay, Facebook garage sale pages, and to online consignment shops. I was scared to get rid of them at first, but baggy clothes started looking terrible on me. Purging my closet has now become somewhat of an addiction -- I get rid of things that fit but are out of season as motivation to make sure they don't fit by the time they're in season!

zann50
on 10/2/15 12:46 pm

Goodwill got the majority of casuals 26-30s. The better items I sold through consigment. Then, turned around and bought smaller sizes at same store.

But, there are several items in a box that are pieces that for some strange reason I am unable to let go. Weird! I sorta have attachments still. Surely it will pass.

I do understand what you are saying. At least now I will buy things that are a size too small. Then, as a marker, I try them on when the scale isn't moving. They always either fit or close to it.

Zann

VGS- 2015

Alison B.
on 10/2/15 12:53 pm - ROSEVILLE, MN
VSG on 05/28/15

Absolutely! But after I began donating items I felt relieved. I had clothing tucked away in hopes of fitting into it again someday, but that led to negative thoughts: guilt, disgust, hopelessness. The truly difficult thing is being too small for one size but too large for the next size down.

You could hang on to the clothing that no longer fits until you feel ready to donate it. It does seem to take a leap of faith to believe that this time it's going to work, that we'll be successful, that we'll no longer need the larger clothing on hand just in case.

Wishing you only success on your weight-loss journey

Height: 5'10" HW: 264.4 Bariatric information session 1/21/15. Insurance approves VSG 4/30/15. Surgery date 5/28/15.

killinmesmalls77
on 10/2/15 12:57 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

Donate them. It is such a good feeling to be able to say goodbye to the bigger sizes. I saved one pair of my largest pants as a reminder of where I started from, but everything else has been donated as I've shrunk out of them.

If you really are struggling with getting rid of them, then maybe put a time limit on how long you keep everything. Tell your hubby after X number of months, we are donating everything. Stick to that time line and say your goodbyes to that old life.

I started out at a 24W in pants and a 26/28 in tops. I am now wearing a regular size 14 and an XL top and am so happy to have all of the big clothes out of my closet. Added bonus - there is more room in my closet now since my clothes don't take up so much space.

Let us know what you decide to do.

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

selhard
on 10/2/15 1:44 pm, edited 10/3/15 11:56 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Yes, it was hard to process my "special-sized" clothes weren't going to protect me any longer. At support group, it was recommended to save one article of clothing as a reminder. I loathed the idea so I saved a pair of underwear. Members laugh when I unfold them; so do I. What did your DH say when you told him you wanted your clothes in the attic? Mine would have said, "do what you want." In the past, I have asked him why he stayed with me through SSMO? He said it became normal. Recently, I asked him why he loves me? He said, "you're like an old pair of favorite shoes, too hard to let go... so I'll just keep ya." Soooooo...if clothes are too hard to let go for you, keep 'em....in the attic. Edited to add this comment: I have since read some of the replies taking away others are assuming you want the clothes in the attic for "just in case." I didn't get that...I got you just aren't ready yet. Curious, which was is it? Do you have a hard time getting rid of other things, too? Anyway, you threw it out there with advice either way--it's all good.

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/15 2:32 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

So funny about the underwear -- I've been reluctant to get rid of mine because "it's just underwear," but my husband has started making comments like, "your diaper's full" as it hangs off my butt. I unintentionally kept all my 2X and 3X t-shirts thought because the hubs wanted them as hand-me-downs.

christinerocks
on 10/2/15 4:30 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

yes! me too! but once I got new undies and tossed the old ones I tell you, everything fit better. And I felt better. So toss those old diapers girlfriend!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

SkinnyScientist
on 10/2/15 2:21 pm

Initially, I WAS. Clothes are an expensive INVESTMENT when you are MO and I had yo-yo'ed so much on other diets that I just didnt want to get rid of them because I didnt want to spend the money on having to buy bigger clothes yet AGAIN.

Then a miraculous thing happened.

Somewhere around a size 8, it hit me that my weight HADNT gone up. I HADN't plateued, I was STILL LOSING, and I was STILL ABLE to stay on my surgeons plan and I was STILL losing!!!

Looking at my weight loss chart (kept here on OH), I saw that my efforts and outcomes were consistent.

It was only then that I really started to "trust" and "have faith in" the surgery.

My 3 closets were bursting in sizes as large as 32 and as small 8s. The 8s were starting to get too big. Where was going going to put the 4s and the 6s???

But because I had faith in the surgery, I started by cleaning out the 28s and the 32s. Surely, I wasnt going to be THAT big again.

And as I lost more, I decided the 18s-28s had to go.

So in summary, I slowly got rid of my clothes in flights. This happened as a result of getting smaller, developing greater faith/confidence in myself, greater faith/confidence in the surgery, and greater/faith confidence in the plan.

If you arent there yet, you arent there yet. It took me about a good 6 months to be there.

Now I dont permit Mediums or larges in my closets. When someone gifts me clothes in a comfortable lose size (i.e. sloppily too big) I immediately return it for an appropriate size or donate it (after sending a thank you note to the gifter of course).

Give yourself time to develop faith...but dont give yourself time to give yourself too big of "safety net" by keeping an excessive amount of big clothes around that may sublimially (sic) cue you that it may be "OK" to gain some weight back or not lose as much as you "could have."

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Eggface
on 10/2/15 2:28 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

It was like getting rid of some old pals... (especially shoes, lost a size in my feet) but someone else will benefit from your donation and you will be making a conscience commitment to maintaining your lower weight.

But... save one pair of pants to do one of these... http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2012/09/my-be fore-pants-coin-purse.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

supershopper
on 10/2/15 2:36 pm

I'm still pre but have lost 32 pounds, and I am getting rid of clothes the moment they don't fit me. Why waste time time looking at clothes that are too big and don't fit your new, awesome figure? They are doing you no good hanging in there or in your attic, plus, when it comes down to it, it is just fabric right? There is too little time in life, you will not fail and gain back and if you do start in that direction, you will grab yourself by your new cute boot (straps) and get back on track!

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 99 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 310 views