Amount of food/pouch stretching out

applegirljae
on 10/25/13 11:32 am

As I read the responses to the thread "Overeating" I was taken aback that we will be able to eat more then 8 oz of food after a while. 

Does the 1 oz pouch we're given just stretch out over time?  Is that the norm?  How big could that little pouch get?

PetHairMagnet
on 10/25/13 11:34 am
RNY on 05/13/13
Yes, it is designed to stretch some. Th exact size varies, but my husband can eat a cup at one year post-op.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 10/25/13 11:37 am - OH

Well, my pouch was supposed to be about three ounces at the beginning.  But yeah, the pouch is supposed to stretch some over time.  We would starve to death if we could never eat more than an ounce of food at a time.  Doesn't your surgeon's meal plan have you eating about a cup of food by the time you're a year out?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

applegirljae
on 10/25/13 12:07 pm

Ooops!  I should clarify, I haven't had the surgery yet, I'm just starting the program.  I say "we" because I'm thinkin positively!! :)

I guess my real question was how big does our pouch get.  I'm afraid that it could get back to it's original size, then what?

cajungirl
on 10/25/13 12:44 pm, edited 10/25/13 7:40 pm
The pouch matures in about a year (maybe longer). Your pouch will not stretch out to what it is before surgery. I think even abusing it would make it difficult to enlarge that much. What you can do is stretch the stoma wide open and cause food to exit your pouch too quickly allowing you to eat more and get hungry more.

Most literature you'll find does state a cup of food. For instance if I eat dense meat I eat about a 4 oz meal. Yogurt and cottage cheese 4 oz but I do feel "empty" quicker than the meal meal. If I eat gumbo with a couple of tablespoons of rice I can eat a cup. Why? The gumbo liquid pushes protein portion down (chicken, sausage, seafood). Ok and I admit I need to focus on the chicken and seafood more. Gumbo is a major part of living in the south.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 10/26/13 12:50 am - OH

There is no possible way it could get back to its original size.  Your original stomach was the size of a football.  After RNY, it's about the size of an egg.  It does stretch some, but not that much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 10/25/13 2:31 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

In post-op nutrition classes, it was stated to limit a meal to no more than a cup of food at a time forever.  At 11 months post-op, I am sure I could easily eat more than a cup, so it's already MINDFUL EATING LIFETIME OR ELSE.

sonyamarie75
on 10/26/13 12:59 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

I worry about this too. I'm only 2 months out and ate an entire cup of Wendy's Chili. I never got my full cue. 

If I am eating dense meat/protein though I can only eat a couple of ounces. I can eat a higher volume of fruits and veggies.. So I could eat a whole med size apple as a snack.  

It amazes me, and terrifies me how fast I gained the ability to eat more than I could at first. I worry that I am getting to much but I am consistently staying between 600-800 calories so I guess I'm ok. 

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

PetHairMagnet
on 10/26/13 6:24 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 26, 2013 at 7:59 AM Pacific Time, sonyamarie75 wrote:

I worry about this too. I'm only 2 months out and ate an entire cup of Wendy's Chili. I never got my full cue. 

If I am eating dense meat/protein though I can only eat a couple of ounces. I can eat a higher volume of fruits and veggies.. So I could eat a whole med size apple as a snack.  

It amazes me, and terrifies me how fast I gained the ability to eat more than I could at first. I worry that I am getting to much but I am consistently staying between 600-800 calories so I guess I'm ok. 

Wow, and you did not get sick?
I can eat 1/3 of a small and even one more bite and I will be MISERABLE! I am 51/2 months out.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

tdbull
on 10/26/13 8:26 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I am exactly like you. I eat around 500-700 calories, but I feel my portion sizes sometimes go over 4 ounces. I eat an entire boca veggie burger - (burger only) and I share a large apple with my husband, so eat halt a large apple in 1 sitting. I do feel full, but I really have to watch that I don't eat more in one sitting.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 239 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 374 views
Recent Topics