More questions about life post op DS and pregnancy

ksallen928
on 6/10/13 6:27 am

Ok so people will probably throw stuff and scream at me but I eat what I want.  During weight loss I limited carbs but now I kinda eat normal.  If I adjust my diet it's usually more to do with the fact that something isn't agreeing with me rather than the number of carbs.  Don't feel like you can never eat your favorite foods again.  Probably won't be a good idea to eat them everyday but you certainly can have them.  Secondly, I had the surgery to have my little boy.  My only issue was having trouble gaining weight in the beginning.  He was healthy.  I took all my weight back off.  I had him naturally.  They monitored me a little more closely and considered me high risk because of my malabsorption of vitamins but that was cool because I got to see him lots and have lots of ultrasound pictures for the baby books.  The DS was the best thing I EVER did. 

MsBatt
on 6/10/13 6:33 am

I would be thinner if I was more strict about carbs, but at 55 I feel life's too short to give up potatoes. (*grin*) I have no vanity (thank goodness!) and I'd rather have potatoes than wear a smaller size. My cholesterol and BP are good now, I can shop in regular stores, and I can eat all the bacon I can afford.

I don't really have any food intolerances, which is both good and bad! Early out milk gave me a little trouble, so...I started making my ice cream with heavy whipping cream and Splenda. YUM!

Before my DS, my knees were so painful that I walked as little as humanly possible. I could only shop in stores that had electric carts. My ortho doc said the only thing that would get me any pain relief was to have both knees replaced, but that I was too heavy to expect good results. Nearly ten years later, I still haven't replaced my knees. I don't intend to as long as I can walk. I don't nor have I ever, done any consistent "work-out" type exercise. I do work in my garden, play with my dogs, and now my grand-niece---and boy! can she burn off some calories.

I went through menopause about the same time as my DS, so---no post-op pregnancy.

I'm very fortunate that my PCP is willing to be educated about the DS. I was her first DSer, but now she has 3 or 4 of us. I gave her some links to good DS info, and a list of what bloodwork I needed, and anything she doesn't understand aboout the DS she ASKS. If your PCP isn't willing to do this, find a new one. My surgeon retired six months after my surgery, and my PCP has done all of my follow-up care. I do have a card I carry in my wallet that shows my designer guts, and that's what I showed them at the hospital when I broke my ribs. (I never did get a DS-friendly meal during the whole 8 days. I just had family members bring me in a bacon cheeseburger or two. *grin*)

There is no food that I've completely given up, because i am now able to do "moderation". I even have days when I have to force myself to eat!

And---there's no shame in having surgery simply because you're tired of being fat.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 722 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1027 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 344 views